Chapter 1: An Introduction to Java Chapter 2: The Java Programming Environment Chapter 3: Fundamental Programming Structures in Java Chapter 4: Objects and Classes Chapter 5: Inheritance Chapter 6: Interfaces and Inner Classes Chapter 7: Graphics Programming Chapter 8: Event Handling Chapter 9: User Interface Components with Swing Chapter 10: Deploying Applications and Applets Chapter 11: Exceptions, Logging, Assertions, and Debugging Chapter 12: Generic Programming Chapter 13: Collections Chapter 14: Multithreading
Core Java Volume I--Fundamentals / Edition 9by Cay S. Horstmann, Gary Cornell
Pub. Date: 12/11/2012
Publisher: Prentice Hall
Core Java® has long been recognized as the leading, no-nonsense tutorial and reference for experienced programmers who want to write robust Java code for real-world applications. Now, Core Java®, Volume I—Fundamentals, Tenth Edition, has been extensively updated to reflect the most eagerly awaited and innovative/b>/i>/b>/i>
Core Java® has long been recognized as the leading, no-nonsense tutorial and reference for experienced programmers who want to write robust Java code for real-world applications. Now, Core Java®, Volume I—Fundamentals, Tenth Edition, has been extensively updated to reflect the most eagerly awaited and innovative version of Java in years: Java SE 8. Rewritten and reorganized to illuminate new Java SE 8 features, idioms, and best practices, it contains hundreds of example programs—all carefully crafted for easy understanding and practical applicability.
Writing for serious programmers solving real-world problems, Cay Horstmann helps you achieve a deep understanding of the Java language and library. In this first volume of the two-volume work, Horstmann focuses on fundamental language concepts and the foundations of modern user interface programming. You’ll find in-depth coverage of topics ranging from Java object-oriented programming to generics, collections, lambda expressions, Swing UI design, and the latest approaches to concurrency and functional programming. This guide will help you
- Leverage your existing programming knowledge to quickly master core Java syntax
- Understand how encapsulation, classes, and inheritance work in Java
- Master interfaces, inner classes, and lambda expressions for functional programming
- Improve program robustness with exception handling and effective debugging
- Write safer, more readable programs with generics and strong typing
- Use pre-built collections to collect multiple objects for later retrieval
- Master concurrent programming techniques from the ground up
- Build modern cross-platform GUIs with standard Swing components
- Deploy configurable applications and applets, and deliver them across the Internet
- Simplify concurrency and enhance performance with new functional techniques
If you’re an experienced programmer moving to Java SE 8, Core Java®, Tenth Edition, will be your reliable, practical companion—now and for many years to come.
Look for the companion volume, Core Java®, Volume II—Advanced Features, Tenth Edition (ISBN-13: 978-0-13-417729-8), for coverage of Java 8 streams, input and output, XML, databases, annotations, and other advanced topics.
Register your product at informit.com/register for convenient access to downloads, updates, and corrections as they become available.
Table of Contents
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews
Must have desk reference for any Java developer. Well written, excellent index. I can't wait for Volume II - Advanced Features.