Joshua Paul has more than ten years of production experience with both cable and network television. He specializes in the post-production process and concentrates on the technical aspects of digital video. Over the last ten years he has witnessed, first-hand, the adoption of digital video and non-linear editing systems from inside the motion picture industry. An active member of the Producer's Guild of America, Joshua is also a co-founder of Overhyped Technologies, LLC, which provides software and service solutions to television production companies. Overhyped Technologies enables production companies to search, manage, and deliver thousands of hours of digital video via a web interface.
Digital Video Hacksby Joshua Paul, Josh Paul
Since the dawn of film, novices and experts have used quick-and-dirty workarounds and audiovisual tricks to improve their motion pictures, from home movies to feature films. Today, the tools have certainly changed, as have the quality and scope of the results. With digital video, the hacking possibilities are now limitless, for both amateurs and professional
Since the dawn of film, novices and experts have used quick-and-dirty workarounds and audiovisual tricks to improve their motion pictures, from home movies to feature films. Today, the tools have certainly changed, as have the quality and scope of the results. With digital video, the hacking possibilities are now limitless, for both amateurs and professional artists. From acquiring footage, mixing, editing, and adding effects to final distribution, Digital Video Hacks provides unique tips, tools, and techniques for every stage of video production. You'll learn how to:
- Get your projects started right using creative preparation tools and techniques,from making your own steadicam, boom, or dolly to effective storyboarding, timecoding, and tape labeling
- Troubleshoot common shooting problems, including using stop-motion and time-lapse techniques, lighting effects, colored screens and gels, and household objects to establish mood or otherwise wow an audience
- Create stunning visual effects, such as satellite zooming, surreal scenes, Matrix-like bullet-time, and green screen illusions
- Fool your audience with audio tricks, replacing flubbed dialogue, smoothing over cuts, and covering missing audio with room tone
- Add professional features with post-production tricks, including color correction, soundtrack cleanup, opening sequences, and DVD bookmarks
- Distribute final content in a variety of creative ways, from exporting to basic videotape or DVD to streaming over the internet or even via cell phone
- Use the web to provide interactivity and dynamic content, attend a remote conference, or vlog your life.
Whether you're looking for a new technique to include in your next project, a solution to a common problem, or just a little inspiration, this book reintroduces you to the digital video you only thought you knew.
Meet the Author
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews