Introduction: J. J. Haldane and J. J. C. Smart.
Part 1: Atheism and Theism: J. J. C. Smart.
2. Theism, Spirituality and Science.
3. The New Teleology and the Old.
5. Fine Tuning and the Anthropic Cosmological Principle.
6. The Argument from the Appearance of Design.
7. God as an Ethical Principle.
8. The Argument from Contingency.
9. The Argument from Religious Experience.
10. Pascal's Wager.
12. Higher Criticism of the New Testament.
13. The Problem of Evil.
14. Historical Theism and Metaphysical Theism.
Part 2: Atheism and Theism: J. J. Haldane.
2. Theism and Science.
3. Some Varieties of Explanation.
4. 'Old' Teleology.
5. 'New' Teleology.
6. The Cause of Things.
7. God and the World.
8. God, Good and Evil.
9. Liberty and Providence.
10. Theism - Philosophical and Religious.
Part 3: Reply to Haldane: J. J. C. Smart.
2. Representation and Intentionality.
4. Chicken and Egg.
5. Eternity and Sempeternity.
6. Theism and the Problem of Evil.
Part 4: Reply to Smart: J. J. Haldane.
2. The Existence of God.
3. Metaphysical Matters.
4. Reason, Faith and Revelation.
5. A Religious Conclusion.
Afterword: J. J. C. Smart and J. J. Haldane.
Part 5 Further Reflections on Atheism for the Second Edition: J.J.C. Smart.
Part 6 Further Relections on Theism for the Second Edition: J. J. Haldane.