Social History of the Laboring Classes: From Colonial Times to the Present / Edition 1 available in Paperback
About the Author
Table of ContentsIntroduction.
1. 'Strangers' and Other Workers in the Seventeenth-CenturyColonies.
2. 'Be Sure to Come Free': Workers in the EighteenthCentury.
3. Crosscurrents of Slavery and Freedom in the AntebellumSouth.
4. The Northern Laboring Classes at Odds With One Another,Before and During the Civil War.
5. Ideologies of Race in a Modernizing Economy: The Cases ofAfrican-American and Chinese Workers.
6. The Laboring Chattering Classes in Turn-of-the-CenturyAmerica.
7. The Rise of the State in Depression and War: The AmericanWorkforce, 1916-1945.
8. American Workers and the New World Order in the Second Halfof the Twentieth Century.