List of Maps and Illustrations.
Prologue: The Making of an Imperial Man.
St.Vincent and Antigua.
Part I: Colony and Metropole:.
Mapping Jamaica:the Pre-Emancipation World in the Metropolitan Mind.
1. The Missionary Dream 1820-1842:.
The Baptist Missionary Society and the Missionary Project.
Missionaries and Planters.
The War of Representation.
The Constitution of the New Black Subject.
The Free Villages.
2. Faultlines in the Family of Man 1842-1845:.
Native Agency and the Africa Mission.
The Baptist Family.
3. A Jamaica of the Mind 1820-1854:.
'A Place of Gloomy Darkness'.
4. Missionary Men and Morant Bay 1859-1866:.
Anthony Trollope and Mr.Secretary Underhill.
The Trials of Life.
Morant Bay and After.
Part II: Metropolis, Colony and Empire:.
Mapping the Midland Metropolis.
5. The 'Friends of the Negro': Baptists and Abolitionists 1825-42:.
The Baptists in Birmingham.
'Friends of the Negro'.
The Utopian Years.
6. The Limits of Friendship: Abolitionism in Decline 1842-59:.
'A Population Intellectually at Zero'.
George Dawson and the Politics of Race and Nationalism.
Troubles for the Missionary Public.
7. Town, Nation and Empire 1859-1867:.