1. Introduction. (Nina Glasgow, Nan E. Johnson, and Lois Wright Morton).
Part I. Rural Morbidity, Disability, and Mortality.
2. Rural/Urban Contrast in Population Morbidity Status. (Robert B. Wallace, Ligia A. Grindeanu, and Dominic J. Cirillo).
3. Spatial Patterning of Disabilities among Adults. (Nan E. Johnson).
4. Spatial Patterns of Rural Mortality. (Lois Wright Morton).
Part II. Challenges to a Healthy Rural America.
5. Health Hazards of Rural Extractive Industries and Occupations. (Michael D. Schulman and Doris P. Slesinger).
6. Rural Environmental Health and Industrial Agriculture: A Case Example of Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations. (Carol J. Hodne).
7. Rural Mental Health: Comparing Differences and Modeling Change. (Frederick O. Lorenz, K.A.S. Wickrama, and Hsiu-Chen Yeh).
8. Risky Behaviors Affecting Rural Adolescents’ Health. (Anastasia R. Snyder and Diane K. McLaughlin).
9. Rural Food Insecurity and Health. (Lois Wright Morton, H. Dreamal I. Worthen, and Lorraine J. Weatherspoon).
10. Rural Eating, Diet, Nutrition, and Body Weight. (W. Alex McIntosh and Jeffery Sobal).
Part III. Health Disparities among People of Color/Disadvantaged Groups.
11. American Indians and Alaska Native. (Everett R. Rhoades and Kymberly Cravatt).
12. The Health of African Americans Living in Nonmetropolitan Areas. (Chck W. Peek and Barbara A. Zsembik).
13. Health of Rural Latinos. (Cruz C. Torres).
14. Migrant Farmworkers. (Louise S. Ward and A. Serdar Atav).
15. Health Disparities in Rural Appalachia. ( Jennifer L. Gatz, Graham D. Rowles, and Suzanne L. Tyas).
Part IV. Formal Health Care in Rural America.
16. Health Insurance Coverage in Nonmetropolitan America. (Robert A. Hummer, Jan Pacewicz, Shu-Chuan Wang, and Chiquita Collins).
17. Funding Health Services in the Rural United States. (Mary K. Zimmerman, Rodney McAdams, and Buron P. Halpert).
18. Networking in Rural Health. (Anthony Wellever).
19. Telehealth: What Promise Does It Hold for Rural Areas? (William Grigsby and Stephan J. Goetz).
20. Nursing Homes and Community-Based Long-Term Care. (R. Paul Duncan and Tiffany A. Radcliff).
Part V. Improving Health: Can Theory Be the Guide?.
21. Community Structure and Population Health: The Challenge of Explanation. (Frank W. Young).
22. Healthy Aging in Rural America. (Nina Glasgow).
23. Reaching the Goal: Less Disparity, Better Rural Health. (Lois Wright Morton, Nina Glasgow and Nan E. Johnson).