Strategies For Success: Study Skills for the College Math Student / Edition 2 available in Paperback
Strategies for Success, Second Edition provides a series of study skills activities designed to foster student success in college mathematics. Lynn Marecek and MaryAnne Anthony-Smith encourage students to take an active approach in determining what they need to do to become successful math students. These proven, class-tested activities have been developed over many semesters from the authors’ firsthand experience with their own students.
This workbook contains 44 activities, in ready-to-use worksheet format. The activities can be used in several ways–individual work, group work, or large group discussion. They can be used in class or assigned as homework. An accompanying Instructor’s Guide is available that contains instructions and implementation strategies for each activity to help instructors easily integrate Strategies for Success into their classes.
Some of the topics covered include Notebook Preparation, Reading a Math Textbook, Successful Student Behavior, Time Management, Test Preparation Skills, Study Group Ideas, and much more. The Second Edition also includes several new activities that focus on specific study skills needed by students doing their homework exercises on a computer in online, hybrid, emporium, or redesign formats.
About the Author
Lynn Marecek and MaryAnne Anthony-Smith are Professors of Mathematics at Santa Ana College in Santa Ana, California. They have worked together on many projects focused on improving student learning in the developmental mathematics courses. Lynn and MaryAnne believe teachers of developmental mathematics should proactively assist their students in improving their study skills. To this end, they created study skills activities,Strategies for Success. The authors actively participate in the AMATYC, CMC³, ICTCM, and NCTM conferences. They have also given workshops on implementing Strategies for Success at many colleges.
Table of Contents
Preface to the Instructor
Preface to the Student
1. Syllabus Search
2. Notebook Preparation
3. Reading the Textbook Part l–Forming Good Habits
4. Reading the Textbook Part ll-–Reading your Math Book Effectively
5. Taking Notes Part l–Notes from Reading the Text
6. Math Autobiography
7. On Time and Ready To Go!
8. Test Preparation Skills
9. Test Stress Reduction
10. Test Taking Skills
11. Post Test Check up
12. Test Analysis
13. Know Where You Stand
14. Successful Student Behavior
15. Email Etiquette
16. Textbook Tour
17. Time Management Part l–Managing Your Weekly Schedule
18. Time Management Part ll–Managing Your Schedule for the Term
19. Homework Skills
20. Taking Notes Part ll–Doing Online Homework
21. Mid-term Check up Part l–Making the Grade
22. Mid-term Check up-Part ll–Evaluating Your Study Habits
24. Study Group
26. Preparing to Get Help
28. Thoughts in Charge!
29. Neutralize Negative Thoughts
30. Intervention Strategies for Negative Thoughts
31. Can You Hear Me Now???
32. A Gift to Yourself
33. Math Plan
34. The End is in Sight!
35. Excuses! Excuses!
36. Excuses! Excuses!–Online Homework Version
37. Support from Family and Friends
38. Stay on Campus — Stay on Task!
39. Final Exam Prep Part l–Get the Facts and Get Organized
40. Final Exam Prep Part ll–Make a Study Plan
41. Final Exam Prep Part lll–Make a Time Management Plan
42. Grade Check Up
43. Look Back, Look Forward
44. Reward Yourself!