This edited book investigates the lack of interoperability in the IoT realm, including innovative research as well as technical solutions to interoperability, integration, and interconnection of heterogeneous IoT systems, at any level. It also explores issues caused by lack of interoperability such as impossibility to plug non-interoperable IoT devices into heterogeneous IoT platforms, impossibility to develop IoT applications exploiting multiple platforms in homogeneous and/or cross domains, slowness of IoT technology introduction at large-scale: discouragement in adopting IoT technology, increase of costs; scarce reusability of technical solutions and difficulty in meeting user satisfaction.
Table of Contents
Open and Interoperable IoT Architectures
1. ''Interoperability of IoT Platforms: From Standards to Voluntary Interoperability'', Giancarlo Fortino, Carlo E. Palau
2. ''EDGE-enabled Smart Environments'', Antonio Guerrieri et al.
3. ''Unified Service-Oriented Access for WSNs and Dynamically Deployed Application Tasks'', Theodoros Fronimos, Spyros Lalis, Manos Koutsoubelias, and Thomas Bartzanas
Device and Communications Layers
1. ''3GPP Standards to Deliver LTE Connectivity for IoT'', Almudena Diaz-Zayas, Cesar A. Garcia-Perez, Alvaro M. Recio-Perez, and Pedro Merino
2. ''A Neural Network and IoT Based Scheme for Performance Assessment in Internet of Robotic Things'', Cristanel Razafimandimby, Valeria Loscri, and Anna Maria Vegni
3. ''Predictive Power Control in Wireless Sensor Networks'', Michele Chincoli, and Antonio Liotta
4. "A Bayesian Packet Sharing Approach for Noisy IoT Scenarios", Anna Maria Vegni, Valeria Loscri, Alessandro Neri, and Marco Leo
Application, Security and Data Layers
1. ''Sensing Enabled Capabilities for Access Control Management'', Mikel Uriarte, Oscar Lopez, Jordi Blasi, Oscar Lazaro, Alicia Gonzalez, Ivan Prada, Eneko Olivares, Carlos E. Palau, Benjamin Molina, Miguel A. Portugues, and Alejandro Garcia
2. ''Layered Security and Ease of Installation for Devices on the Internet of Things'', Roger D. Chamberlain, Mike Chambers, Darren Greenwalt, Brett Steinbrueck, and Todd Steinbrueck
3. ''The Application of Telematics and Smart Devices in Emergencies'', Marco Manso, Barbara Guerra, Cosmin Carjan, Andrei Jigman, Angelo Amditis, Evangelos Sdongos, and David Donaldson
4. ''Internet of Everything'', Manfred Hauswirth