Read any good stories lately? I am sure you have. They sent you on a journey—perhaps to another place, a different time…somewhere you have never been before. Tales, yarns, legends and fables fill our human history, and stories are as powerful today as they have always been. Have you ever wondered why you can’t resist going? It’s time to find out…
Breadcrumbs invites you to further adventures. Traveling across time, along crooked paths, wooded trails, and on mountain tops, you will discover:
• Why stories are critical to well-being and the hidden mystery you are searching to uncover
• How to interpret the twists and turns of life and find the meaning that makes all the difference
• How to identify the breadcrumbs that reveal the most important story of them all
In this collection you will meet some familiar friends and perhaps make some new ones:
• In Breadcrumbs, we are on the yellow brick with Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz and in the woods with Hänsel and Gretel. Two seemingly very different stories, but could there be a key that unlocks both?
• The King’s Gambit (longlisted for the 2015 Notting Hill Editions International Essay Prize) takes us on a very different journey—into the complex world of chess. All kinds of characters appear, and one makes a fateful decision that may have changed history
• Next, we are with Frodo and the Fellowship of the Ring. Sitting on the mountaintop, staring at Mt. Doom, there’s a Crisis in Middle Earth and it’s not only the one you imagine
• Slowing it down, join me and Timothy the Tortoise, as we travel through time to answer a question—are we humans truly making progress?
• Picture this—you have been found guilty of a crime. Your execution is only moments away and your one hope is a wandering preacher your executioners dislike immensely. Just what was The Sandman doing?
• If you feel your story has come to a grinding halt, read The Butterfly Effect, as it’s all about you, the most important room where you live, and what you may need to do to get your story moving forward if you are feeling stuck
• Finally, join me and genius, Albert Einstein. I promise no theoretical physics skills are needed, because what I went seeking was a Special Theory of Spiritual Relativity. Did I find it?
Ready for some adventures? There’s no need to pack. All you need is what every story asks of us—to be open to all the possibilities, because whatever we seek on our journey—inspiration, healing, hope, purpose…our answers are waiting and all we have to do is keep turning the pages.
|Publisher:||Francis J. Shaw|
|File size:||406 KB|
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Reviewed by Arya Fomonyuy for Readers' Favorite Breadcrumbs: A Collection of Spiritual and Philosophical Essays by Francis J Shaw is an inspiring book suffused with rare wisdom, a book that delivers an inspiring message in a style that is lyrical and utterly arresting. In these pages, the author takes readers through some of the great stories, great characters, and great settings of all time, recreating worlds of possibilities, unveiling mysteries, and prompting readers to ask questions that make them think about life, their spiritual journey, their purpose, and the sacred art of storytelling. In these pages, the author makes a gorgeous offering — like crumbs of bread served to a famished person — but these are not crumbs, they are monuments to explore, worlds to inhabit, and characters to walk the way with. From The Fellowship of the Ring to the Wizard of Oz, from Hansel and Gretel to The Butterfly Effect, the author opens new and fresh layers of literary appreciation for readers. The book features well-written essays with great references to classic stories. The writing is just great, seductive and tantalizing, with insightful passages, poetic utterances, and awesome conversations. I was able to look at, think about, and appreciate some of my best books and characters, especially Frodo, in a very new light. It was fun learning the lessons in this book and one of the touching ones is that heroes are not necessarily the big and strong ones. They are the small and courageous ones who exert a lot of love, sacrifice, and effort to make a difference. Breadcrumbs: A Collection of Spiritual and Philosophical Essays is both enlightening and illuminating, a book that will make you think and laugh and have lots of fun as you read on. If you love stories, then you should pick up this book. I am sure it won’t fail your expectations.