With Breakfast in America, Supertramp had a genuine blockbuster hit, topping the charts for four weeks in the U.S. and selling millions of copies worldwide; by the 1990s, the album had sold over 18 million units across the world. Although their previous records had some popular success, they never even hinted at the massive sales of Breakfast in America. Then again, Supertramp's earlier records weren't as pop-oriented as Breakfast. The majority of the album consisted of tightly written, catchy, well-constructed pop songs, like the hits "The Logical Song," "Take the Long Way Home," and "Goodbye Stranger." Supertramp still had a tendency to indulge themselves occasionally, but Breakfast in America had very few weak moments. It was clearly their high-water mark.
Performance CreditsSupertramp Primary Artist
Roger Hodgson Guitar,Keyboards,Vocals
Rick Davies Keyboards,Vocals
John Helliwell Saxophone,Vocals,Woodwind
Bob C. Benberg Drums
Dougie Thompson Bass
Dick Hyde Trombone,Tuba
Dougie Thomson Bass
Technical CreditsRoger Hodgson Composer
Rick Davies Composer
Peter Henderson Producer,Engineer
Gary Mielke Programming
Russel Pope Engineer,Concert Sound Engineer
Aaron Rapoport Cover Photo
Michael Diehl Reissue Design
Mike Doud Artwork,Art Direction
Mick Haggerty Art Direction,Cover Design
Beth Stempel Reissue Production Coordination
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Breakfast in America based on 0 ratings. 4 reviews.
"Crime of the Century" really should be considered Supertramp's best album since 87% of the album was included on the "Very Best Of" compilations while only 70% of this album was included on them. However, with 4 mega hit singles ("Goodbye Stranger", "Logical Song", "Breakfast in America" and "Take the Long Way Home"), this album is really the big one! The other 30% of this album contains lesser songs, which are not really much to listen to. The album all together is a mindblower!
''Breakfast in America'' contains a lot of pop hits that more than three generations have enjoyed like wonderful songs.
Roger Hodgson's lead vocals on "The Logical Song" are great! On "Goodbye Stranger," Hodgson plays wah-wah guitar almost in the style of Peter Frampton. Rick Davies does "a little bit" of whistling on this same tune before the chorus is sung again. This entire album was great - it was from the year that disco died - 1979.