This completely new manual describes diseases of dogs and cats caused by bacteria, fungi and viruses, as well as protozoans and other parasites. Aimed primarily at UK vets in general practice, the book concentrates on common conditions such as cat 'flu, infectious diarrhoea and pyoderma. It also includes detailed information on a number of important diseases that may be seen in animals imported into the UK. Several infectious diseases that might be seen in quarantined animals are covered but in less depth. Important non-infectious differential diagnoses are noted in the text where appropriate.
A problem-oriented rather than a 'pattern recognition' approach has been adopted. Infections are grouped together by affected body systems rather than by taxonomic classification. Thus, all gastrointestinal viruses, bacteria and parasites are considered in one chapter. When an infectious agent has more than one presentation (e.g. canine distemper virus) then one chapter contains the main details of clinical signs, diagnosis, treatment and control. Other chapters contain relevant details of clinical signs for the system but the reader is cross-referred to the main chapter for other information.
Although the Manual does not provide details of microbial structure, replication, molecular biology and post-mortem findings that are not directly important to the practitioner, modern diagnostic techniques using molecular biology are described.
<>The authors have been drawn from a wide variety of institutions in the UK and were selected for their knowledge of internal medicine and infectious diseases. The text is extensively illustrated throughout with numerous tables, illustrations and flow charts plus quality colour photographs.
BSAVA, BVNA and FECAVA members can claim their member discount by ordering direct from: British Small Animal Veterinary Association Woodrow House, 1 Telford Way, Waterwells Business Park, Quedgeley, Gloucester, GL2 4AB, Tel: 01452 726709, Fax: 01452 726701, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Series:||BSAVA British Small Animal Veterinary Association Series|
|Product dimensions:||8.27(w) x 11.70(h) x 0.60(d)|
Table of Contents
List of Contributors.
1. The Laboratory Diagnosis of Infectious Diseases (Diane Addie and Ian Ramsey).
2. Antimicrobial and Antiparasitic Chemotherapy (Jonathan Elliott).
3. Vaccination (Oswald Jarrett and Ian Ramsey).
4. Control of Infectious Diseases in Multi-Animal Environments (Danièlle Gunn-Moore).
5. The Haemopoietic and Lymphoreticular Systems (Ian Ramsey, Danièlle Gunn-Moore and Susan Shaw).
6. The Respiratory Tract (Kim Willoughby and Susan Dawson).
7. The Cardiovascular System (Clive Elwood).
8. The Alimentary Tract (Bryn Tennant).
9. The Peritoneal Cavity (Danièlle Gunn-Moore and Diane Addie).
10. The Urinary System (Bryn Tennant).
11. The Liver, Pancreas and Spleen (bryn Tennant).
12. The Reproductive Tract and Neonate (Gary England).
13. The Skin (Ian Mason, Ross Bond, Danièlle Gunn-Moore and Andrew Sparkes).
14. The Musculoskeletal System (Chris May).
15. The Nervous System (Clare Rusbridge).
16. The Eye (David Gould).
1. Sending Samples by Post.
2. Pet Travel Outside the UK and Eire.
3. Drug Dosages.