Buckhead, a community four miles from downtown Atlanta, began approximately 6,000 years ago when the Paleo-Indians lived along the Chattahoochee River. By the mid-1700s, the Muscogee (Creek) Indians lived there in the village of Standing Peach Tree. They ceded a major portion of their land to Georgia in 1821, and from that cession came Atlanta and Buckhead. Settlers arrived and operated river ferries, mills, and farms. When Henry Irby opened a tavern in 1838 and hung a buck's head--either over the door or on a yard post--the area became known as Buck's Head. After the Civil War, black neighborhoods, schools, and potteries were established. Around the turn of the century, some Atlanta residents bought land in Buckhead, built cottages, and operated small farms. The streetcar was extended to Buckhead in 1907, and friends followed friends to the community. Images of America: Buckhead is an album of this once quiet rural community before it was annexed to the City of Atlanta in 1952.
About the Author
Susan Kessler Barnard's photographs came from private collections and from the archives at the Atlanta History Center, Georgia Archives, and the Bremen Museum. She is also the author of Buckhead: A Place for All Time.
Table of Contents
1 The Land before Buck's Head and Standing Peach Tree: The Archaic Period-1821 9
2 The Buck Stopped Here: 1821-1865 13
3 Th' Yankees Are Gone, Dig Up th' Silva: 1865-1899 25
4 Clang, Clang, Clang Came the Buckhead Trolley: 1900-1913 39
5 Leo Frank and the Ku Klux Klan 61
6 The Teenage Buckhead: 1914-1919 63
7 Buckhead Builds and Recreates: 1920s 71
8 Buckheadians Go to the Movies, School, and Church: 1930s 89
9 Reading, Recreating, and War: 1940s 103
10 Postwar Building Explosion: 1950s 113