Building Structures / Edition 2 available in Hardcover
- Pub. Date:
|Product dimensions:||8.80(w) x 11.28(h) x 1.80(d)|
About the Author
James Ambrose is Editor of the Parker/Ambrose Series of Simplified Design Guides. He practiced as an architect in California and Illinois and as a structural engineer in Illinois. He was a professor of architecture at the University of Southern California.
Patrick Tripeny is an Associate Professor, former director of the School of Architecture, and the current Director of the Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence at the University of Utah. He is a licensed architect in California. He has been the recipient of a number of teaching awards at the local and national level for his work in teaching structures and design. With James Ambrose, he is the coauthor of Simplified Engineering for Architects and Builders, Eleventh Edition; Simplified Design of Steel Structures, Eighth Edition; Simplified Design of Concrete Structures, Eighth Edition; and Simplified Design of Wood Structures, Sixth Edition, all published by Wiley.
Table of Contents
PART ONE: BASIC CONCEPTS.
1. Basic Concerns.
2. Architectural Considerations.
3. Structural Functions.
4. Structural Materials.
5. Structural Systems.
PART TWO: INVESTIGATION OF STRUCTURES.
6. Introduction to Structural Investigation.
7. Static Forces.
8. Stresses and Strains.
10. Tension Elements.
11. Compression Elements.
12. Special Topics.
14. Special Structures.
15. Aspects of Dynamic Behavior.
PART THREE: WOOD STRUCTURES.
16. General Concerns for Wood.
17. Wood Beams, Joists, and Decks.
18. Wood Columns.
19. Fasteners and Connections.
20. Special Wood Structures.
PART FOUR: STEEL STRUCTURES.
21. General Concerns for Steel.
22. Steel Beams, Joists, and Decks.
23. Steel Columns.
24. Steel Connections.
25.Special Steel Structures.
PART FIVE: CONCRETE STRUCTURES.
26. General Concerns for Concrete.
29. Bond and Development.
30. Concrete Framing Systems.
31. Concrete Columns.
32. Concrete Walls.
33. Concrete Foundations.
34. Special Structures.
PART SIX: MASONRY.
35. General Concerns for Masonry.
36. Masonry with Concrete Units.
37. Brick Masonry.
38. Miscellaneous Masonry Construction.
PART SEVEN: BUILDING FOUNDATIONS.
39. General Considerations.
40. Soil Properties and Foundation Behavior.
41. Shallow Bearing Foundations.
42. Deep Foundations.
43. Special Foundation Problems.
PART EIGHT: LATERAL FORCE EFFECTS.
44. General Considerations for Lateral Effects.
45. Wind Effects on Buildings.
46. Earthquake Effects on Buildings.
47. Elements of Lateral Resistive Systems.
48. Design for Wind and Earthquake Effects.
49. Special Lateral Effect Problems.
PART NINE: DESIGN EXAMPLES.
50. General Concerns for Structural Design.
51. Building One: Wood Structure.
52. Builsding One, Scheme 3: Masonry and Timber Structure.
53. Building One, Scheme 4: Concrete and Steel Structure.
54. Building Two: General Considerations.
55. Building Two: Scheme 1: Wood Structure.
56. Building Two: Scheme 2: Steel Structure.
57. Building Two: Scheme 3: Alternative Steel Structure.
58. Building Two: Scheme 4: Concrete Structure.
59. Building Two: Scheme 5: Alternative Concrete Structure.
60. Building Two: Scheme 6: Masonry Wall Structure.
61. Building Two: Scheme 7: Alternative Masonry Structure Number One.
Appendix A: Properties of Sections.
Appendix B: Beam Diagrams and Formulas.
Appendix C: Weights of Elements of Building Construction.
Appendix D: Building Code Requirements.
Appendix E: Design Data for Masonry.
Answers to Exercise Problems.