Building Type Basics for College and University Facilities is a one-stop source for the essential information architects, engineers, and facility planners need to fast-start the design process. In this book, award-winning architect and planner David Neuman, along with an impressive list of industry-leading contributors, addresses a broad scope of essential issues concerning campus architecture, including such sweeping advancements as distance learning facilities, technology-driven research laboratories, and electronically enhanced dormitories. Dozens of successful projects by a variety of designers are showcased, bringing to life in-depth material on such topics as cultural centers (Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer Associates); libraries and learning centers (Moore Ruble Yudell); teaching buildings and professional schools (Robert A.M. Stern Architects); science teaching and research buildings (Ellenzweig Associates); social and support facilities (Kieran Timberlake Associates); athletics and recreation facilities (Sasaki Associates); sustainability (Foster and Partners); and housing (Esherick Homsey Dodge and Davis).
This indispensable guide:
- Asks and answers twenty questions that frequently arise in the early phases of a project commission
- Provides project photographs, diagrams, floor plans, sections, and details
- Includes design guidelines for a variety of college and university building projects, from new construction to renovations and additions
This conveniently organized quick reference is an invaluable guide for busy, dedicated professionals who want to get moving quickly as they embark on a new project. Like every Building Type Basics book, it provides authoritative, up-to-date information instantly and saves architects and facility planners countless hours of research. Engineering consultants will also find in this volume a wealth of information to help them tackle college and university building commissions of all kinds.
|Series:||Building Type Basics Series , #3|
|Edition description:||Older Edition|
|Product dimensions:||7.78(w) x 9.47(h) x 0.95(d)|
Table of Contents
Preface (S. Kliment).
1. Campus Planning (D. Neuman).
2. The New University and Sustainability: Recent Case Studies (D. Nelson).
3. Libraries/Learning Centers (J. Ruble & M. Yudell).
4. Academic Buildings and Professional Schools (G. Wyatt).
5. Science Teaching and Research Facilities (M. Lauber).
6. Housing (C. Davis).
7. Athletics and Recreation Facilities (R. Viklund).
8. Social and Support Facilities (J. Timberlake).
9. Cultural Centers (J. Gath & D. Waters).
Bibliography and References.