- Olympic Fanfare and Theme, for orchestra
- The Cowboys, film score: Overture
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind, film score: Excerpts
- Midway, film score: March
- E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, film score: Flying Theme
- Star Wars, Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, film score: Luke and Leia Theme
- Superman, film score: March
- Liberty Fanfare, for orchestra
- Raiders of the Lost Ark, film score: March
- Star Wars, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, film score: Yoda's Theme
- 1941, film score: March
- Jaws, film score: Theme
- Star Wars, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, film score: Imperial March
- Mission Theme for orchestra (Theme for NBC News)
- Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope, film score: Main theme
There are probably more compilation albums of John Williams's film music available than virtually any other modern composer, but this 1990 Philips compilation of Williams's work with the Boston Pops Orchestra is arguably the finest. In addition to the obvious choices from his film music canon (CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, STAR WARS, SUPERMAN, E.T.), the album also draws upon Williams's original compositions for settings ranging from the 1986 restoration of the Statue of Liberty ("The Liberty Fanfare"), the 1984 Olympic games, and NBC Nightly News ("The Mission"). With something that will appeal to listeners and collectors alike, BY REQUEST... is a marvelous album from one of the most brilliant, prolific and popular film composers.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
By Request: The Best of John Williams & the Boston Pops based on 0 ratings. 2 reviews.
I've had this CD for years and now have to replace it I have used it so much. This music is wonderful and uplifting. Everyone will recognize the music on the CD.
john williams is just amazing. his music is nothing less. every time he writes the music for a new movie, i am never dissapointed in his work. this cd shows the highlights of some of his best work. this is the genius of john williams!