In the early 1890s, Humphrey Barker Chamberlin installed a lifeline to his namesake suburb west of the city. A trolley connected to Arlington Heights Boulevard at the Trinity River’s Clear Fork and chugged across prairie land to reach Chamberlin Arlington Heights. Camp Bowie, a soldiers’ city, sprawled over both sides of the road from 1917 until 1919. At the Great War’s end, the stretch west of present-day University Drive became the commemorative Camp Bowie Boulevard. The 1920s brought twin ribbons of cordovan-colored brick pavement, the prestige of inclusion in the Bankhead Highway network, and westering developers of another elite village: Ridglea. Midway through the Great Depression, the Will Rogers complex arose on a farm tract, visible from the thoroughfare, to host Texas Centennial celebrations and a special livestock exposition. Museums began claiming adjacent space in the 1950s. By the second decade of the 21st century, Camp Bowie Boulevard bisected a built environment both modern and historic.
|Publisher:||Arcadia Publishing SC|
|Series:||Images of America Series|
|Product dimensions:||6.40(w) x 9.20(h) x 0.50(d)|
About the Author
Fort Worth native Juliet George holds degrees in journalism and history from the University of Texas and Texas Christian University, respectively. A former archivist for the Dallas Jewish Historical Society, she currently serves on the Tarrant County Historical Commission, as an adjunct instructor of history at Weatherford College, and as a Spanish teacher at Springtown High School. Images in this book came from family albums, private collections, archives, libraries, and online resources.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Great book with early photos of Fort Worth.