Camp San Luis Obispo, founded in 1928 amid the starkly beautiful rolling hills north of San Luis Obispo, has an ideal central California location. It is the original home of the California National Guard and remains today the Guard's principal training facility. In 1941 the U.S. Army commandeered the post, enlarging it to over 10,000 acres for the training of half a million soldiers and 42 infantry divisions. Salinas Dam, 20 miles away, was built to provide a dependable source of water for the troops. Reverting to the state after major conflicts, the camp is also the headquarters for the U.S. Army Reserve, California Specialized Training Institute, and a host of agencies and academies. It remains on the frontline for modernizing the military into the 21st century.
About the Author
The story of this vital military installation is told here by the California Center for Military History using the extensive archives of the Guard, Camp San Luis Obispo, and the California State Military Museum. Over 200 photographs capture the experiences of many soldiers who served their state and nation at Camp San Luis Obispo, the natural beauty of the area, and the prominent buildings of this historic post.