Campbell County, formed in 1782 from Bedford County, was the first Virginia county created after the Revolutionary War. It is named for Gen. William Campbell, patriot commander at the Battle of King's Mountain and brother-in-law to Patrick Henry. Scotch Irish Presbyterians settled the Hat Creek area in the late 1730s. Soon after, the Flat Creek area was settled, followed by the Concord area. The county gave up portions of its land in 1845 and 1848 to help form Appomattox County. Historically an agrarian area, several of the towns arose from the tobacco industry while others were railroad towns. The county has changed since its early days of manufacturing and railroad-dominant towns to being primarily residential, but its residents continue to treasure their heritage and appreciate the contributions the county has made over the years.
|Publisher:||Arcadia Publishing SC|
|Series:||Images of America Series|
|Product dimensions:||6.30(w) x 9.10(h) x 0.40(d)|
About the Author
The Campbell County Historical Society (CCHS) was formed in 1988 with its primary project to preserve the historic courthouse as a museum. The courthouse was renovated, and the Historic Courthouse Museum opened in 2006. CCHS collects and preserves manuscripts, artifacts, and other materials pertaining to the history of Campbell County and also provides educational programs and quarterly newsletters.