Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Physical Therapy: Evidence and Practice / Edition 4 available in Hardcover
- Pub. Date:
- Elsevier Health Sciences
Uniquely balanced in its coverage of cardiac and pulmonary systems in health and dysfunction, this student-friendly text includes a new holistic perspective on providing care. Based on the latest scientific literature and research, the text sets the foundation with strong A&P, assessment and intervention coverage. The focus of the rehabilitation section is on the patient, detailing therapy guidelines for patients with acute, chronic and critical care conditions, while also addressing special patient population, such as pediatrics and the elderly. The fourth edition expands its coverage of secondary conditions and has additional content on health care trends related to evidence-based management to promote cost-effective management. The concept of oxygen transport is interwoven throughout.
• Integrates real-life, clinical cases within the textbook to enable the reader to apply concepts covered in the chapter.
• Content covers the spectrum from acute to long-term conditions.
• Covers secondary cardiovascular/cardiopulmonary conditions as well as primary conditions.
• Special topics are highlighted at the end to keep abreast of new directions and initiatives in the specialty.
• Focuses on evidence-based medicine to bridge the gap between the importance of research to reimbursement.
• Evolve Learning Resources Website includes an Electronic Image Collection with all the images from the book for instructors. For students, a Clinical Case Study Guide provides additional cases to develop problem-solving and clinical reasoning skills.
• Emphasizes the global perspective of health to make students more aware of the cross-cultural and global view of health care.
• Expanded section on health psychology and living a healthy lifestyle.
• Expanded section on secondary cardiovascular and pulmonary conditions shows that "every patient" is a cardiovascular and pulmonary patient.
• Integrates oxygen transport throughout to demonstrate how cardiac and pulmonary function together.
• Focuses on evidence-based medicine to bridge the gap between the importance of research and reimbursement
• Uses case vignettes as models of evidence-based practice and clinical decision making to help the student apply real-life scenarios to evidence-based practice and the process of decision making.
• Pharmacology chapter has been substantially revised and updated to show the importance of pharmacology to cardiopulmonary care.
• Incorporates The Guide to Physical Therapist Practice, 2nd Edition, which sets the standard in physical therapy.
• New appendix with a prototype for a cardiac rehabilitation program and a pulmonary rehabilitation program enables the readers to understand how rehabilitation programs work.
• Expanded section on community and home care.
• New information on noninvasive mechanical ventilation.
|Publisher:||Elsevier Health Sciences|
|Product dimensions:||8.60(w) x 11.10(h) x 1.50(d)|
Table of Contents
PART 1. CARDIOVASCULAR AND PULMONARY FUNCTION IN HEALTH AND DISEASE
1. Epidemiology as a Basis for Contemporary Physical Therapy Practice
2. Oxygen Transport: The Basis of Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy
3. Cardiopulmonary Anatomy
4. Cardiopulmonary Physiology
5. Cardiopulmonary Pathophysiology
6. Cardiopulmonary Manifestations of Systemic Conditions
PART II. CARDIOVASCULAR AND PULMONARY ASSESSMENT
7. Measurement and Documentation
9. Pulmonary Function Tests
10. Arterial Blood Gases
11. Imaging of the Chest
12. Electrocardiogram Identification
13. Multisystem Assessment and Laboratory Investigations
14. Special Tests
15. Clinical Assessment of the Cardiopulmonary System
16. Monitoring Systems in the Intensive Care Unit
PART III. CARDIOVASCULAR AND PULMONARY PHYSICAL THERAPY INTERVENTIONS
17. Optimizing Outcomes: Relating Interventions to an Individual’s Needs
18. Mobilization and Exercise
19. Body Positioning
20. Physiological Basis for Airway Clearance Techniques
21. Airway Clearance Interventions: Clinical Application
22. Facilitating Airway Clearance with Coughing Techniques
23. Facilitating Ventilation Patterns and Breathing Strategies
24. Exercise Testing and Training: Primary Cardiopulmonary Dysfunction
25. Exercise Testing and Training: Secondary Cardiopulmonary Dysfunction
26. Respiratory Muscle Training
27. Complementary Therapies as Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy Interventions
28. Patient Education
PART IV. GUIDELINES FOR THE DELIVERY OF CARDIOVASCULAR AND PULMONARY PHYSICAL THERAPY: ACUTE CONDITIONS
29. Individuals with Acute Medical Conditions
30. Individuals with Acute Surgical Conditions
PART V. GUIDELINES FOR THE DELIVERY OF CARDIOVASCULAR AND PULMONARY PHYSICAL THERAPY: CHRONIC CONDITIONS
31. Individuals with Chronic Primary Cardiopulmonary Dysfunction
32. Individuals with Chronic Secondary Cardiopulmonary Dysfunction
PART VI. GUIDELINES FOR THE DELIVERY OF CARDIOVASCULAR AND PULMONARY PHYSICAL THERAPY: CRITICAL CARE
33. Comprehensive Management of Individuals in the Intensive Care Unit
34. Intensive Care Unit Management of Individuals with Primary Cardiopulmonary Dysfunction
35. Critical Care Management of Secondary Cardiopulmonary Dysfunction
36. Complications, Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome, Shock, Sepsis, and Multiorgan System Failure
PART VII. GUIDELINES FOR THE DELIVERY OF CARDIOVASCULAR AND PULMONARY PHYSICAL THERAPY: SPECIAL CASES
37. The Neonatal and Pediatric Patient
38. The Aging Patient
39. The Patient with Multisystem Impairments Affecting Breathing Mechanics and Motor Control
40. The Transplant Patient
41. The Patient in the Community
PART VIII. RELATED ASPECTS OF CARDIOVASCULAR AND PULMONARY PHYSICAL THERAPY
42. Body Mechanics-The Art of Positioning and Moving Patients
43. Respiratory Care Practice Review
44. Care of the Patient with an Artificial Airway
45. Respiratory and Cardiovascular Drug Actions