Case Studies in Couple and Family Therapy: Systemic and Cognitive Perspectives / Edition 1 available in Paperback
Featuring case presentations by many of the most distinguished practitioners of couple and family therapy, this volume brings to life the full spectrum of approaches in the field. The cases illustrate the principles and techniques of the respective approaches and allow the reader to "listen in" on highly skilled therapists at work. Editor Frank Dattilio comments on each case with a focus on ways to integrate systemic and cognitive-behavioral approaches. He suggests ways that cognitive principles might usefully be called upon at specific points. Responses from contributors consider the benefits of Dattilio's suggestions and elucidate each practitioner's decision-making process.
See also Dattilio's authored book, Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy with Couples and Families, which combines the empirical research base with practical clinical guidance.
About the Author
Frank M. Dattilio, PhD, ABPP, holds faculty positions with the Department of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. He is also in the private practice of clinical and forensic psychology and marital and family therapy in Allentown, Pennsylvania. With more than 280 professional publications in the areas of couple and family problems, anxiety and behavioral disorders, and forensic and clinical psychology, Dr. Dattilio has presented extensively on CBT throughout the world. His works have been translated into more than 30 languages and are used in over 80 countries. He serves on the editorial boards of a number of professional journals, including the Journal of Marital and Family Therapy and Contemporary Family Therapy. Dr. Dattilio is a recipient of numerous awards for outstanding achievement in the fields of psychology and psychotherapy, including, most recently, the MFT of the Year Award from the Pennsylvania Association for Marriage and Family Therapy and the Outstanding Contribution to Marriage and Family Therapy Award from the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.
Table of Contents
1. An Introduction to Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy with Couples and Families, Frank M. Dattilio, Norman B. Epstein, and Donald H. Baucom
2. Cognitive-Behavioral Couple Therapy, Norman B. Epstein and Donald H. Baucom
3. Cognitive-Behavioral Family Therapy, Frank M. Dattilio
4. Behavioral Family Therapy, Marion S. Forgatch and Gerald R. Patterson
5. Structural Family Therapy, Salvador Minuchin and Michael P. Nichols
6. Strategic Family Therapy, James Keim
7. Contextual Family Therapy, David N. Ulrich
8. Symbolic-Experiential Family Therapy for Chemical Imbalance, David V. Keith
9. Solution-Focused Couple Therapy: Helping Clients Construct Self-Fulfilling Realities, Michael F. Hoyt and Insoo Kim Berg
10. Integrative Marital Therapy, William C. Nichols
11. Transgenerational Family Therapy, Laura Giat Roberto
12. Cross-Cultural Couple Therapy, Paula Hanson-Kahn and Luciano L'Abate
13. Social Constructionist/Narrative Couple Therapy, Terry MacCormack and Karl Tomm
14. Internal Family Systems Family Therapy, Richard C. Schwartz
15. Feminist Couple Therapy, Cheryl Rampage
16. Narrative Solutions Couple Therapy, Joseph B. Eron and Thomas W. Lund
17. Imago Relationship Therapy, Wade Luquet and Harville Hendrix
18. Psychoanalytic Couple Therapy, Fred M. Sander
19. Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy, Susan Johnson
20. Epilogue, Frank M. Dattilio
Practitioners and students of couple and family therapy from a range of orientations. Serves as a supplemental text for advanced undergraduate and graduate level courses in couple and family therapy.