Almost everybody remembers that special teacher that changed their life for the better. In this stunning visual history, readers learn about the changing role of educators throughout time. From teachers in such ancient civilizations as Greece, Rome, China, or India, to medieval monks, pioneer schoolma'ams, and all the way to today's hardworking professional, readers get a look at the many reasons teachers should be celebrated.
Find yourself inspired by some of the most unforgettable teachers ever, including:
• Anna Leonowens, the teacher that inspired the Hollywood film, The King and I
• Maria Montessori, the Italian physician whose methods for infant education became a global phenomenon
• Rabindranath Tagore, the Nobel-prize winning author, teacher, and founder of an experimental school in West Bengal
• Irish nationalist Patrick Pearse, who called the state national school system a "murder machine" and founded schools that fostered a lifetime love of learning
• Maya Angelou, Roddy Doyle, Seamus Heaney, Barack Obama, J.K. Rowling, Sting, and other contemporary figures whose professional development began with careers in teaching Celebrating Teachers also takes a look at the role of teachers in art, literature, film, and television; during times of conflict and upheaval; and the pioneers and missionaries that brought education to excluded communities, deprived districts, and far-flung places around the globe. It's a beautiful look at a noble profession that has been heralded in the past, and deserves recognition, respect, and remembrance today.
|Publisher:||Barron's Educational Series, Incorporated|
|Product dimensions:||8.60(w) x 10.30(h) x 1.10(d)|
About the Author
Dr. Deirdre Raftery is Chair of Research and Director of Ph.D. Studies at the School of Education, University of Dublin, Ireland, as well as a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society (UK). Dr. Raftery has an international reputation in the field of History of Education, and has published nine scholarly books and many research papers. She has also given guest lectures and presentations at international conferences throughout Europe, Australia, and North America.