Checkpoints: Developing College English Skills / Edition 4 available in Hardcover
- Pub. Date:
- Pearson Education
|Edition description:||Older Edition|
|Product dimensions:||8.42(w) x 11.10(h) x 0.53(d)|
Table of Contents1. The Writing Process. Reading: The Art of Eating Spaghetti by Russell Baker.
Writing as Process.
Writing Assignment: A Job Application Letter.
2. Paragraphs with Topic Sentences. Reading: Lessons Learned During Ramadan by Ameena El Jandali.
Writing Paragraphs With Topic Sentences.
Analyzing Paragraphs with Topic Sentences.
Prewriting: Keeping a Journal.
Writing Assignment: A Paragraph with a Topic Sentence.
Sentence Sense: Identifying Subjects and Verbs.
Finding the Subject: More Tips.
Finding the Verb: More Tips.
3. Paragraphs With Specific Details. Reading: Nonnie by Mary E. Mebane.
Analysis Writing with Specific Details.
Writing Assignment: A Portrait of a Person.
Writing Process: Revising the Paper.
Sentence Sense: Avoiding Fragments.
Joining Sentence Parts.
4. The Description Paragraph. Reading: Selling Off Pieces of Their Bodies by Joan Ryan.
Analyzing Descriptive Writing.
Writing Assignment: A Descriptive Paragraph.
Writing Process: Writing a Summary.
Sentence Sense: Avoiding Clause Fragments.
Wordcheck: Spelling Compound Words.
5. The Narrative Paragraph. Reading: Down with the Forests by Charles Kuralt.
Analyzing Narrative Writing.
Prewriting: Nonstop Writing.
Writing Assignment: A Narrative Paragraph.
Sentence Sense: Avoiding Run-Together Sentences.
Wordcheck: Word Origins.
6. The Process Paragraph. Reading: TheJeaning of America-and the World by Carin C. Quinn.
Analyzing Process Writing.
Prewriting: Asking How and Why.
Writing Assignment: A Process Paragraph.
Sentence Sense: Using Verbs Correctly.
Past Participles as Adjectives.
Three Verbs to Watch Out For.
Wordcheck: Verb Forms.
7. The Cause and Effect Paragraph. Reading: Road Warriors of the Freeways by Lonn Johnston.
Analyzing Cause and Effect Writing.
Writing Assignment: A Cause and Effect Paragraph.
Affect and Effect.
Sentence Sense: Making Subjects and Verbs Agree.
8. Example Paragraph. Reading: Addicted to Luck by Matea Gold and David Ferrell.
Analyzing Writing That Uses Examples.
Writing Assignment: An Example Paragraph.
Sentence Sense: Using the Right Pronoun.
Who and Whom.
9. The Comparison Paragraph. Reading: North Marries South by Benton D. Brown.
Analyzing Comparison Writing.
Comparison vs. Contrast.
Writing Assignment: Comparison Paragraph.
Sentence Sense: Achieving Pronoun Agreement and Clear Reference.
Avoiding Sex Bias.
Group Noun Antecedents.
Clear Pronoun Reference.
Wordcheck: Usage Tips.
10. The Definition Paragraph. Reading: Tough on Macho by Rose Del Castillo Gauilbault.
Analyzing Definition Writing: Denotation and Connotation.
Writing Assignment: A Definition Paragraph.
Sentence Sense: Using Commas Correctly.
Wordcheck: Biographical Names.
11. The Opinion Paragraph. Reading: A Lesson Taught on a Subway by Mike Royko.
Analyzing Opinion Writing.
Opinions and Facts.
Writing Assignment: An Opinion Paragraph.
Diction: Choosing the Right Word.
Sentence Sense: Using Other Punctuation Marks.
Ending the Sentence.
Questions: Direct and Indirect.
Using Quotation Marks.
Using Quotation Marks with Titles.
Apostrophes to Show Possession.
Using Dashes and Paretheses.
Wordcheck: Word Choice.
12. Writing the Essay. Reading: Fatherhood-It Has Its Moments by Winston F. Wong.
Analyzing an Essay.
Writing an Essay.
Writing Assignment: An Essay.
Sentence Sense: Being Consistent.
Consistent Time (Tense)
Consistent "Person" .
Wordcheck: Places and Things.
13. The Classification Essay. Reading: Ad It Up, Break It Down by Phil Sudo.
Analyzing an Ad.
Analyzing Writing That Uses Classification.
Writing Assignment: Classification Essay.
Sentence Sense: Achieving Variety.
Building Effective Sentences.
Wordcheck: Foreign Words.
14. The Persuasion Essay. Reading: What Should be Done About Drugs? by the Drug Policy Foundation.
Analyzing Persuasion Writing.
Writing Assignment: A Persuasion Essay.
Sentence Sense: Solving Sentence Problems.
Active vs. Passive Voice.
15. An Essay Using Mixed Modes. Reading: The Billionth Baby by Tom Rathman.
Analyzing An Essay With Mixed Modes.
Writing Assignment: An Essay of Life.
Sentence Sense: Adding Polish.
Adjectives and Adverbs.
Wordcheck: Miscellaneous Facts.
Reading in College.
Words Often Misused.
Spelling Tips and List.
Capitals, Numbers, Abbreviations.
English as a Second Language.
Using the Computer and Internet.
Grammar Terms: The Parts of Speech.