- Piano Sonata No. 3 in B minor, Op. 58, CT. 203
- Nocturnes (2) for piano, Op. 62, CT. 124-125
- Mazurkas (3) for piano, Op. 59, CT. 86-88
- Polonaise-fantasy for piano No. 7 in A flat major, Op. 61, CT. 156
- Mazurkas (3) for piano, Op. 63, CT. 89-91
- Waltzes (3) for piano, Op. 64, CT. 212-214
- Mazurka for piano No. 43 in G minor, Op. 67/2, CT. 93
- Mazurka for piano No. 45 in A minor, Op. 67/4. CT. 95
- Sonata for cello & piano in G minor, Op. 65, CT. 204
- Mazurka for piano No. 49 in F minor, Op. 68/4, CT. 99
Maria João Pires, widely recognized as one of the great pianists of the last forty years, celebrates her twentieth anniversary as a Deutsche Grammophon exclusive recording artist with this all-new, 2-CD release devoted entirely to the late works of Chopin. This is Pires’s first new recording in more than four years, making it an especially welcome album.
Pires says she wanted "not a systematic traversal of Chopin’s output but a sort of stroll through this late period." All of the featured works were composed between 1844, the date of Chopin’s Third Sonata (which anchors the recital), and 1849, the year of the composer’s death. Included are a number of Mazurkas, Nocturnes, Waltzes and a dignified performance of the Cello Sonata, op. 65 with Pavel Gomziakov.
- "This is playing of total clarity and refinement." - The Times, London
-- From the Label