Visit the history of the orphanage in Cincinnati that changed the lives of children left by themselves after their parents died in a cholera outbreak in the 1800s, and went on to become an outstanding Cincinnati institution.
In 1849, a cholera epidemic devastated Cincinnati, taking the lives of 4,114 residents. The First German Protestant Aid Association proposed creating a home for the orphaned children and established the German General Protestant Orphan Asylum in Mount Auburn. The annual Orphan Feast and parade began in 1851 and was one of the largest one-day festivals in Cincinnati for 137 years. In 1949, the orphanage moved to 62 acres straddling Mount Washington and Anderson Township. The orphanage's name changed to Beech Acres, after the beech trees lining the property. In the 1980s, the orphanage closed and the focus shifted from restorative to preventive social services for children and families. The increased focus on strengthening the relationship between parents and their children resulted in a change to the current name, Beech Acres Parenting Center.
|Publisher:||Arcadia Publishing SC|
|Product dimensions:||6.69(w) x 9.61(h) x 0.38(d)|
About the Author
Christine Hall has been eager to spread her passion for Beech Acres Parenting Center's mission of "Strengthening Families for Children" since she joined their leadership team in 2008. She partnered with Natasha Rezaian to search the archives, interview employees, board members, and former residents. The authors are honored to share the rich 161-year history and journey from an orphanage to parenting center in this collection of stories and photographs.