- Suite for solo cello No. 1 in G major, BWV 1007: Prelude
- Five Tango Sensations, for bandoneón & string quartet (abridgement and arrangement of Sette sequenze): Fear
- Butterfly's Day Out - arranged by Meyer, Edgar
- Cantata No. 75, "Die Elenden sollen essen," BWV 75: Excerpt
- Slavonic Dance No. 10 for orchestra in E minor B. 147/2 (Op. 72/2) - transcribed by Morawetz, Oskar
- Preludes (3) for piano: Prelude No. 1
- American Collection Theme
- 1B, for violin, cello & double bass
- Sonata for Cello & Piano No. 2 in F major, Op. 99: Allegro molto
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, film score: The Eternal Vow
- Matthäuspassion (St. Matthew Passion), BWV 244: Erbarme dich
- Piano Quartet No. 2 in G minor, Op. 45: Allegro molto
- Vocalise, song for voice & piano, Op. 34/14 - arranged for voice & cello
- Libertango, tango
- Simple Gifts - arranged by Meyer, Edgar
- Appalachia Waltz, for solo cello
Yo-Yo Ma's discography is so vast that any authoritative "greatest hits" compilation would likely fill up three or more CDs. But the 16 tracks here do a fine job of demonstrating the breadth of the singular cellist's musical interests, from the sublimity of Bach to the exoticism of the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon soundtrack, with a few sweet Appalachian tunes and sultry Argentinean tangos in between. Lost in the shuffle, however, are Elgar, Haydn, Tchaikovsky, and any other example from the concerto repertory -- although we do get a fun and flashy arrangement of a Dvorák Slavonic Dance. Classic Yo-Yo offers some nice surprises, too, including the elegant, whirlwind finale of Gabriel Fauré's G Minor Piano Quartet (featuring Isaac Stern, Emanuel Ax, and Jaime Laredo), and a haunting rendition of Rachmaninoff's "Vocalise" (a duet with Bobby McFerrin's unearthly falsetto). But most of the selections act as delicious teasers: How can one hear the prelude to a Bach solo suite, for example, or the finale of a Brahms sonata, and not yearn to hear the rest? Serious collectors undoubtedly have many of the original recordings in their library already. For those less familiar with Ma's extraordinary talent, though, this 70-minute sampler is a great place to start.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
These beautiful selections would be a perfect gift for anyone. A delightful version of "Simple Gifts" is included in this recording.
Though I was obviously expecting quality music when buying a Yo-Yo Ma CD, I was surprised how much I instantly loved every track. There is a wonderful combination of many styles of music. I've found a song on this CD to fit almost any mood.
This is my first Yo Yo CD. The songs on this CD are GREAT! Tracks 1, 2, and 11 are some of the best songs you will play on your home or car radio. Please, buy this CD. I wish I could give this "6 stars"!