This book takes the reader on a fascinating journey through the exciting and dangerous world of Australian Clearance Divers - the Navy's Frogmen.
Trained in all forms of military diving, weapons handling, explosive ordnance disposal (EOD),
sabotage, explosive demolitions, improvised explosive devices (IEDs), combat swimming, ship attack, counter terrorism, covert tactical operations and numerous other military skill sets, these sailors are the elite of the Royal Australian Navy.
From one of the most mentally and physically demanding training regimes in the military world, to diving the most beautiful reefs in the South Pacific, to bomb disposal in the steamy war torn jungles of South Vietnam and beyond, the author takes us along on an intriguing journey covering his 20 year career.
This is the world of an Australian Navy CLEARANCE DIVER.
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.63(d)|
About the Author
His brothers, Mike and David and his son Jason all joined the ranks of Navy Frogmen thus making 4 members of the Ey family to serve as Clearance Divers.
Career highlights included;
• being a member of the 8th and final Clearance Diving Team to serve in South Vietnam during 1970 & 1971.
• 12 months as senior Demolitions Instructor in the RAN and numerous postings to operational diving teams.
• Personnel Exchange Program with the USN based in Hawaii from 1977 to 1980.
• diving in such magnificent locations as the Great Barrier Reef, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Truk lagoon, Kwajalein, Hawaii and the Caribbean.
• obtaining a US Pilot's Licence.
• qualifying for US Navy Parachute wings at Lakehurst, New Jersey.
• several SPECWAREXs with US Special forces.
After leaving the Navy he worked for a short time in the southern United States demolishing bridges using specialised explosive techniques and on returning to Australia, was employed by Dupont Explosives as their Specialty Blasting Manager (during this period he developed a commercial 'shaped charge' for Dupont which was patented worldwide) and afterwards had a business in Hanoi, Vietnam, until his retirement in 1997.
The author holds both US and Australian Pilot licenses with multi-engine endorsements.
His hobbies include writing, international travel, photography, spending time in the Queensland 'Outback' and riding his Harleys in both Queensland and the western United States.