A century ago, William A. Stinchcomb, aged 27, closed his annual report as chief engineer of parks for the City of Cleveland with a challenge to create an outer ring of parks and boulevards to benefit all residents of Greater Cleveland. By 1912, legislation authorizing it had been enacted, and three acres of land were acquired through a donation. This formed the nucleus of the vast park system that now includes almost 21,000 acres. Cleveland Metroparks has provided generations of area residents with readily accessible facilities for year-round recreation. The park provides opportunities for hiking, horseback riding, swimming, cycling, golfing, and boating. Use of the park, which crosses the boundaries of approximately 48 communities in the Cleveland area, has become a tradition for many families.
About the Author
Thomas G. Matowitz Jr. is a lifelong resident of the Greater Cleveland area who grew up on the edge of Cleveland Metroparks Rocky River Reservation. He tells the park’s story with pictures from a wide range of local sources, including the Cleveland State University Library, local historical societies, and the park’s own collection.