A Raisin in the Sun debuted in the spring of 1959 and has since been translated into more than 30 languages. It is the story of a poor black family struggling to become part of the middle class. Family hardships test the faith of all involved and the result is unexpected and filled with heartbreak.
CliffsNotes on A Raisin in the Sun helps you explore this play by providing you with summaries and commentaries, chapter by chapter. You’ll also gain insight into the author Lorraine Vivian Hansberry. Other features that help you study include
- A list of characters and their descriptions
- A genealogy chart to illustrate the relationships between the characters
- Glossaries to help you fully understand the novel
- Critical essays on thematic structure, language and style, and more
- Suggested essay topics and related research projects for more study
Classic literature or modern-day treasure—you'll understand it all with expert information and insight from CliffsNotes study guides.
Related collections and offers
Table of ContentsLife of the Author.
Hansberry's Major Works.
List of Characters.
A Brief Synopsis.
Introduction to the Play.
Summaries and Critical Commentaries.
Suggested Essay Questions.
Related Research Projects.