Covering all four major drug calculation methods, this resource makes it easy to learn and apply drug calculations used in nursing practice today. Clear explanations of ratio & proportion, formula, fractional equation, and dimensional analysis allow you to choose the method that works best for you. A variety of realistic practice problems cover specialty areas and lifespan issues including pediatric, critical care, labor and delivery, and community settings.
• Coverage of all 4 major drug calculation methods ratio & proportion, formula, fractional equation, and dimensional analysis allows you to apply the method that works best for you.
• A section on specialty areas and lifespan prepares you for the wide range of clinical calculations needed to practice in pediatric, critical care, labor & delivery, and community settings.
• Caution boxes alert you to problems or issues related to various drugs and their administration.
• A comprehensive post-test enables you to test your understanding of key concepts from the text.
• Current drug information ensures you are familiar with the most commonly used drugs in clinical practice.
• Up-to-date content on the latest drug administration techniques and devices helps you master the various forms of drug administration, including oral, intravenous, intra-muscular, subcutaneous, and other routes.
• Remember boxes identify pertinent concepts you should commit to memory.
• Note boxes emphasize important points related to concepts presented in each chapter.
• NEW! Prevention of Medication Errors chapter emphasizes patient safety to help you avoid common drug calculation and administration mistakes.
• NEW! Updated recommendations from The Joint Commission and the Institute for Safe Medication Practices offer helpful guidelines for reducing medication errors to ensure safe patient care outcomes.
• NEW! Updated medication label and equipment photos reflect the latest medications and technology used in drug administration.
|Publisher:||Elsevier Health Sciences|
|Edition description:||Older Edition|
|Product dimensions:||7.90(w) x 9.90(h) x 0.60(d)|
Table of Contents
Part I: Basic Math Review
Part II: Systems, Conversion, and Methods of Drug Calculation
1. Systems Used for Drug Administration
2. Conversion Within the Metric, Apothecary, and Household Systems
3. Interpretation of Drug Labels, Drug Orders, Bar Codes, MAR and eMAR, Automation of Medication Dispensing Administration, and Abbreviations
4. NEW! Prevention of Medication Errors
5. Alternative Methods for Drug Administration
6. Methods of Calculation
7. Methods of Calculation for Individualized Drug Dosing
Part III: Calculations of Oral, Injectable, and Intravenous Drugs
8. Oral and Enteral Preparations with Clinical Applications
9. Injectable Preparations with Clinical Applications
10. Intravenous Preparations with Clinical Applications
Part IV: Calculations for Specialty Areas
12. Critical Care
13. Pediatric Critical Care
14. Labor and Delivery
Part V: Post-Test: Oral Preparations, Injectables, Intravenous, and Pediatrics
Appendix A: Guidelines for Administration of Medications
Appendix B: Nomograms