Get the best skills guidance on the market with Clinical Nursing Skills & Techniques, 9th Edition. Known for its clear and comprehensive coverage of over 200 basic, intermediate and advanced skills, this widely respected, bestselling text features nearly 1,000 full-color photographs and drawings, a nursing process framework, step-by-step instructions with rationales, and a focus on critical thinking and evidence-based practice. This edition also includes new coverage of patient-centered care and safety guidelines, an enhanced emphasis on QSEN core competencies, and an expanded clinical focus with specialized Clinical Debriefs, Teach-Back, and sample documentation throughout. Written by the highly respected author team of Anne Griffin Perry, Patricia A. Potter, and Wendy Ostendorf, this text offers all the guidance and tools you need to perform nursing skills with complete confidence!
• Comprehensive coverage includes 211 basic, intermediate, and advanced nursing skills.
• Coverage of QSEN core competencies incorporates the areas of delegation and collaboration; reporting and recording; safety guidelines; and teaching, pediatric, geriatric, and home care considerations into lessons.
• UNIQUE! Using Evidence in Nursing Practice chapter covers the entire process of conducting research, including collecting, evaluating, and applying evidence from published research.
• Expert team of authors and contributors include some of the most respected individuals in the nursing field.
• UNIQUE! Unexpected Outcomes and Related Interventions sections highlight what might go wrong and how to appropriately intervene.
• Framework on the five-step nursing process gives context for specific skills and their role within overall client care.
• Streamlined procedural guidelines format makes it easy learn and review basic nursing skills.
• Clinical Decision Points within skills address key safety issues or possible skill modifications for specific patient needs.
• Rationales for each skill step incorporate the latest research findings and explain why steps are performed in a specific way, including their clinical significance and benefit.
• Video clip icons indicate video clips that are related to skills and procedures in the book and related lessons in Nursing Skills Online.
• Online checklists and video clips may be downloaded to mobile devices.
• NEW! Clinical Debriefs are case-based review questions at the end of each chapter that focus on issues such as managing conflict, care prioritization, patient safety, and decision-making.
• NEW! Streamlined theory content in each chapter features a quick, easy-to-read bullet format to help reduce repetition and emphasize the clinical focus of the book.
• NEW! Sample documentation for every skill often includes notes by exception in the SBAR format.
• NEW! SI units and using generic drug names are used throughout the text to ensure content is appropriate for Canadian nurses as well.
|Publisher:||Elsevier Health Sciences|
|Edition description:||Older Edition|
|Product dimensions:||8.50(w) x 10.90(h) x 2.00(d)|
About the Author
Anne Griffin Perry, RN, EdD, FAAN, Professor and Associate Dean, School of Nursing, Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, ILPatricia A. Potter, RN, MSN, PhD, FAAN, Director of Research, Patient Care Services Barnes-Jewish Hospital St. Louis, MOWendy Ostendorf, RN, MS, EdD, CNE
Table of Contents
Unit: Supporting the Patient Through the Health Care System 1Using Evidence in Practice 2Admitting, Transfer, and Discharge 3Communication and Collaboration 4Documentation and Informatics
Unit II: Vital Signs and Physical Assessment 5Vital Signs 6Health Assessment
Unit III: Special Procedures 7Specimen Collection 8Diagnostic Procedures
Unit IV: Infection Control 9Medical Asepsis 10Sterile Technique
Unit V: Activity and Mobility 11Safe Patient Handling, Transfer and Positioning 12Exercise and Mobility 13Support Surfaces and Special Beds
Unit VI: Safety and Comfort 14Patient Safety 15Disaster Preparedness 16Pain Management 17Palliative Care
Unit VII: Hygiene 18Personal Hygiene and Bed Making 19Care of the Eye and Ear
Unit VIII: Medications 20Safe Medicine Preparation 21Administration of Nonparenteral Medications 22Administration of Parenteral Medications
Unit IX: Oxygenation 23Oxygen Therapy 24Performing Chest Physiotherapy 25Airway Management 26Cardiac Care (NEW CHAPTER) 27Closed Chest Drainage Systems 28Emergency Measures for Life Support
Unit X: Fluid Balance 29Intravenous and Vascular Access Therapy 30Blood Therapy
Unit XI: Nutrition 31Oral Nutrition 32Enteral Nutrition 33Parenteral Nutrition
Unit XII: Elimination 34Urinary Elimination 35Bowel Elimination and Gastric Intubation 36Ostomy Care
Unit XIII: Care of the Surgical Patient 37Preoperative and Postoperative Care 38Intraoperative Care
Unit XIV: Dressings and Wound Care 39Impaired Skin Integrity Prevention and Care 40Wound Care and Irrigations 41Dressings, Bandages, and Binders 42Warm and Cold Therapy
Unit XV: Home Care 43Home Care Safety 44Home Care Teaching