This detailed book explores and provides insights into the development and transformation of various clusters, economies and industrial sectors in East and Southeast Asia.
The authors study a number of important issues including the role of information and communication technology in economic growth, an emerging biomedical cluster in South Korea, an industrial agglomeration of Taiwanese electronics firms in China, and different sectorial and regional growth models in China. They also investigate the increasing relevance of cluster policies and the need to understand them in the context of the institutional and structural transition of newly industrializing East Asian economies. The book moves on to study the technology intensity of FDI in Vietnam and the implications for economic growth and emerging clusters, as well as the origin and characteristics of foreign technology transfer in a Chinese aircraft industry cluster.
Clusters and Economic Growth in Asia will greatly appeal to academics, researchers, politicians, policy planners and industrial specialists, as well as those with a specific interest in clusters and economic growth in Asian economies.
|Publisher:||Elgar, Edward Publishing, Inc.|
|Product dimensions:||6.30(w) x 9.30(h) x 0.60(d)|
About the Author
Edited by Sören Eriksson, formerly Jönköping International Business School, Jönköping University, Sweden
Table of Contents
1. Cluster Policies and Entrepreneurial States in East Asia
2. Information and Communication Technology and Economic Growth of Four Asian Industrialized Economies
Yanfei Li and Wai-Mun Chia
3. Industrial Agglomeration of Taiwanese Electronics Firms in Dongguan, China: Home Effects and Implications for Industrial Upgrading
Felix Haifeng Liao, Karen Zhihua Xu and Bin Liang
4. The Rise of the Biomedical Cluster in Wonju, Korea
Jun Koo and Jongmin Choi
5. The Global Economic Crisis as Leverage for Emerging Regional Growth Paths? Differentiated Evidence from China – Three Years Onwards
Daniel Schiller and Henning Kroll
6. Technological Intensity of FDI in Vietnam – Implications for Future Economic Development and Emerging Clusters
7. The Aircraft Industry as a Tool for Economic and Industrial Development – The Case of Indonesia
8. Foreign Knowledge Transfer in the Development of Aircraft Industry Clusters – The Case of Chengdu, China