- Pub. Date:
- Elsevier Health Sciences
Ever since the publication of the first edition in 1997, the Companion to Specialist Surgical Practice series has met the needs of surgeons in higher training and practising consultants by providing contemporary, evidence-based information on the sub-specialist areas relevant to their general surgical practice. All eight volumes are thoroughly edited and supported by evidence-based references to support key recommendations. This new Fourth Edition brings together the relevant state-of-the-art specialist information that the editors and authors consider important for the practising sub-specialist general surgeon. Purchase of a print book also includes a downloadable version of the eBook.
• A standardised approach is used across the series to provide up-to-date information in a way that will be consistent and familiar to the reader.
• Each volume gives a current and concise summary of the key topics within each major surgical sub-specialty.
• Each volume highlights evidence-based practice both in the text and by also identifying the key papers in the extensive list of references at the end of every chapter.
• This new Fourth Edition is presented in colour throughout, including colour photographs of operative procedures, investigations and clinical signs throughout.
• The entire contents have been comprehensively updated with particular reference to the evidence-based content of each chapter.
• An expanded group of authors provides an increased international dimension to the content of all volumes.
• Purchase of a print copy includes a downloadable version of the eBook which you can also access on your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad.
• The books are available for purchase as a single volume or as part of a set of all eight volumes in an elegant slipcase.
• Reflects the development of the multidisciplinary team approach in cancer care
• Takes account of the improvements in the quality of rectal cancer imaging
• Updates the evidence on the efficacy of preoperative radiation therapy for all rectal cancer
• Includes a new chapter on colonoscopy and flexible sigmoidoscopy
• Takes a modern look at less familiar operations such as stapled transanal rectal resection.
|Publisher:||Elsevier Health Sciences|
|Series:||Companion to Specialist Surgical Practice Series|
|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||7.40(w) x 9.80(h) x 0.90(d)|
Table of Contents
Series preface ix
Editor's preface xi
Evidence-based practice in surgery xiii
1 Anorectal investigation Alexis M.P. Schizas Andrew B. Williams 1
2 Colonoscopy and flexible sigmoidoscopy Adam Haycock Siwan Thomas-Gibson 17
3 Inherited bowel cancer Sue Clark 31
4 Colonic cancer Robert J.C. Steele 47
5 Rectal cancer Robin K.S. Phillips 67
6 Adjuvant therapy for colorectal cancer Paul Hatfield David Sebag-Montefiore 83
7 Anal cancer John H. Scholefield 97
8 Diverticular disease Zygmunt H. Krukowski 107
9 Ulcerative colitis R. John Nicholls Paris P. Tekkis 125
10 Crohn's disease Mark W. Thompson-Fawcett Nell J.McC. Mortensen 151
11 Incontinence Paul Durdey 175
12 Functional problems and their surgical management Nicola S. Feamhead 193
13 Functional problems and their medical management Anton V. Emmanuel 213
14 Anal fistula: evaluation and management Peter J. Lunniss Robin K.S. Phillips 223
15 Minor anorectal conditions Francis Seow-Choen Chung Ming Chen 243
16 Sexually transmitted diseases and the anorectum Charles B. Whitlow David E. Beck 261
17 Laparoscopic surgery and enhanced recovery programmes in colorectal disease Ian Jenkins Robin Kennedy 277
18 Intestinal failure Carolynne Vaizey Janindra Warusavitarne 293