Uh-oh, it looks like your Internet Explorer is out of date.
For a better shopping experience, please upgrade now.
Gathered on the centenary and in the same city of Chicago where the first Parliament took place, the 1993 Parliament of the World's Religions was the largest interfaith gathering ever held. Representatives from minority, ethnic, and tribal religions took the podium as equals alongside representatives from the world's largest religious traditions. The Community of Religions is an essential record of this historic event, containing major addresses and reflections as well as numerous short evocations of the spirit of the Parliament.
|Product dimensions:||6.19(w) x 8.99(h) x 0.77(d)|
About the Author
Wayne Teasdale was a Catholic monk and Professor of Religion at various American universities.
George Cairns was Professor of Practical Theology at Chicago Theological Seminary, USA.
Table of Contents
Introduction: Harmony in the Midst of Great Diversity George Cairns and Wayne Teasdale
Part One: HISTORICAL CONSIDERATIONS
1. The Importance of Religious Harmony His Holiness the Dalai Lama, XIV
2. The Two Parliaments, the 1893 Original and the Centennial of 1993: A Historian's View Richard Hughes Seager
Part Two: THE 1993 PARLIAMENT OF THE WORLD'S RELIGIONS
3. Dancing Honeybees and Sacred Snakes Keith Cunningham
4. A Parliament of the People Barbara Fields Bernstein
5. Voices of Vision: The Parliament and Beyond Jackie Rivet-River
6. Gazing into the Cosmic Soul: A Participant's Reflection on the Parliament Georgene L. Wilson
Part Three: MAJOR PRESENTATIONSAT THE SECOND PARLIAMENT
7. In Darkness Grows the Green Magdalena Gómez
8. What Shall We Do? Gerald O. Barney, Jane Blewett, and Kristen Barney
9. The Catholic Church and Other Religions Archbishop Francesco Gioia, OFM Cap.
10. Elements of Nirvana Samdech Preah Maha Ghosananda
11. Inward Journeys: Life as Art Form Byron L. Sherwin
12. Until the Pain Is Over Ma Jaya Sati Bhagavati
13. Sharing Our Visions: An Open Letter Burton Pretty on Top
14. Socially Engaged Christianity: One Example of Contemplation and Action George F. Cairns
15. The Qur'anic Formula: To Save Humankind Irfan Khan
Part Four: MODELS FOR THE FUTURE
16. The Parliament Experience: 1993 and Beyond Jim Kenney
17. Toward a Global Ethic: An Initial Declaration: Its Making and Its Future Thomas A. Baima
18. The Peace Council: An Initiative Inspired by the Parliament Daniel Gómez-Ibánez
19. The Chicago Model Dirk Ficca
20. Religions on the Eve of the Twenty-First Century Ewert Cousins
Part Five: VISIONS FOR THE FUTURE
21. The Planetary Parliament Beatrice Bruteau
22. The Role of Religions in the Twenty-First Century Thomas Berry
23. The Great Circle Dance of the Religions Brother David Steindl-Rast, 0.S.B.
24. Pluralism and Oppression: Dialogue between the Many Religions and the Many Poor Paul F. Knitter
25. The Interspiritual Age: Global Spirituality in the Third Millennium Wayne Teasdale
26. Toward the Dialogue of Love Robert L. Fastiggi
27. Music as a Way of Intuitive Wisdom and Self-Knowledge Russill Paul D'Silva
28. Possibilities for an Ongoing Program Paulos Mar Gregorios
Epilogue: Continuing the Dance Jean Houston, Wayne Teasdale, and George Cairns
A. Towards a Global Ethic
B. Resources for Study and Networking Joel Beversluis