While the global trade regime has made significant strides in eliminating tariffs and other barriers to free trade, it has yet to develop a consistent and enforceable antitrust and competition policy that combats monopolies, cartels, and other
Table of Contents
Preface; C.A. Jones, M. Matsushita.
Part I: Foundations of International Antitrust: Bilateral Cooperation.
• Antitrust and Bilateralism: The US, Japanese, and EU Comparative and Historical Relationships; T. Freyer.
• Antitrust Cooperation, Global Trade, and US Competition Policy; R. Pitofsky.
• International Development of Japanese Competition Law; S. Itoda.
• Cooperation between Competition Authorities: A Vision for the Future; M. Monti.
• Improving Bilateral Antitrust Cooperation; C. Stark.
Part II: Substantive Issues in Comparative Antitrust Law and Enforcement.
• Comparing Antitrust Offenses in Japan, the US, and the EU; M. Murakami.
• Access Issues under EU Regulation and Antitrust Law: The Case of Telecommunications and Internet Markets; H. Ungerer.
• Market Access Issues in Japan's Antimonopoly Law; J. Tamura.
• Creating a New Competitive Business Environment in Japan; O. Moriya.
• Antitrust's Goals: The Theory of Antitrust in the United States and Japan; H. First.
• Antitrust Deterrence in the United States and Japan; S. Chemtob.
• Trilateralism in Private Antitrust Enforcement: Japan, the USA, and the EU; C.A. Jones.
• Private Antitrust Enforcement in the EU and the UK; J. Lever QC.
• Private Enforcement in Japan of the Act of Antimonopoly and Unfair Trade; M. Murayama.
• Private Enforcement and New Provisions for Damages and Injunctions in Japanese Antitrust; S. Seryo.
Part III: Organizing Antitrust in a Global Economy: Which Way Forward?
• Globalization, Competition and Trade Policy: Convergence, Divergence, and Cooperation; F. Jenny.
• Expanding Our Web of Bilateral Agreements; J. Klein.
• A Transnational Antitrust Convention and the Recent European Antitrust Proposals: Exercises in Economic Anthropology; W. Fikentscher.
• A Need for New Multilateral Initiatives; M. Janow.
• Global Antitrust in the Millennium Round: The Ways Forward; C.A. Jones, M. Matsushita.