Provide whole care to your cancer patients with:
- Up-to-date information on the uses of diet, nutrition, and herbs
- Elucidations of the use of mind-body therapies such as Guided Imagery, Expressive Therapies, and spirituality
- Legal and medical guidance for incorporating Naturopathy, Acupuncture, Homeopathy, and Ayurvedic Medicine in cancer care
According to the U.S. National Center for Health Statistics and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (2004), up to 80% of cancer patients undergoing treatment by oncologists and radiation therapists also supplement their treatments with complementary and integrative medicines (CIM).
Dr. Marc S. Micozzi has designed this text to provide a comprehensive resource for students and practitioners on the evidence for and applications of complementary, alternative, and integrative medical therapies.
This is the first integrative oncology text for health professionals, and as such, it is essential reading for the incorporation of evidence-based practice into the care of patients with cancer and toward the prevention of cancer in the general population.
About the Author
Marc S. Micozzi, MD, PhD, was the founding editor-in-chief of the Journal of Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Research on Paradigm, Practice, and Policy and the review journal Seminars in Integrative Medicine. He was a Senior Investigator for the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, MD, and Director of the Center for Integrative Medicine at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia. He is currently the Founding Director of the Policy Institute for Integrative Medicine in Washington, DC, and a Senior Fellow of the Health Studies Collegium, and he maintains a part-time counseling practice in forensic medicine.
Table of Contents"
- List of Figures and Illustrations
- Cancer as a Cellular Phenomenon, Marc S. Micozzi
- Cancer as a Biologic Phenomenon, Marc S. Micozzi
- Antiquity and Ecology of Cancer, Marc S. Micozzi
- Mind-Body Modalities, Carolyn Fang,
- Guided Imagery, Martin L. Rossman
- Expressive Therapies, Ilene Serlin,
- Religion and Spirituality, Kent C. Shih, and David Larson
- History of Diet and Cancer in Human Evolution, Marc S. Micozzi
- Diet, Biology, and Breast Cancer, Marc S. Micozzi
- Prevention of Cancer withi Nutrients and Whole Foods, Marc S. Micozzi
- Treatment of Cancer with Nutrients, Marc S. Micozzi
- History of Alternative Cancer Diets, Marc S. Micozzi
- Natural Products in Cancer Care and Treatment, Marc S. Micozzi
- Naturopathy, Marc S. Micozzi
- Chinese Medicine and Cancer Care, Harriet Beinfield, Efrem Korngold, Marc S. Micozzi
- Ayurvedic Medicine, Marc S. Micozzi
- Homeopathy, Joyce Frye
- Controversial Therapies, Marc S. Micozzi
- Legal and Regulatory Acess to Alternative Cancer Treatments Alan Dumoff
- A Patient's Experience and Perspective, Anonymous
List of Tables
Part 1: Biology and Ecology of Cancer
Part 2: Mind-Body Approaches
Part 3: Diet, Nutrition, and Natural Products
Part 4: Alternative Systems of Medicine
Part 5: Alternative Therapies and Practices
What People are Saying About This
"Micozzi and co-authos present many studies that demonstrate the effectiveness of various alternative therapies used to complement traditional cancer therapy (radiation and chemotherapy)....offers a wealth of information. Recommended."Choice
"This book achieves its objective elegantly. I would encourage any physician to read it."Doody's Book Review Service