Discover how to make your PC the ultimate gaming machine Take your gaming experience to the next level! This one-of-a-kind reference examines the latest hardware and software, explains how to improve your current system, and provides step-by-step instructions for installing a video card, programming a joystick, and more. From the hottest new games to peripherals, sound and video cards, 3D controllers, and multiplayer network connections, the Computer Gamer's Bible delivers all you need to make your games look, sound, and play better. Inside, you'll find complete coverage of computer game software and hardware
- Learn about the hottest gaming technologies for PCs and Macs
- Find more than 20 do-it-yourself projects to optimize, augment, or upgrade your system
- Pinpoint the ideal system specs for the kinds of games you play
- Select the best controller, video card, and sound card for your system
- Pump up the volume with surround-sound software, speakers, and subwoofers
- Go three-dimensional with 3D glasses, goggles, and gadgets
- Play to win with other gamers on a network or over the Internet
- Optimize your gaming system with DirectX and DirectSound from Microsoft
- Get inside your games with patches, levels, cheats, and walkthroughs
- Need for Speed: High Stakes
- Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation, Homeworld
- Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire
- Age of Empires II: Age of Kings, Unreal Tournament
- Plus gaming utilities and 3 other hot game demos
About the Author
About the Authors Mark L. Chambers has been an author, computer consultant, BBS sysop, programmer, and hardware technician for more than 15 years. His first love affair with a computer peripheral blossomed in 1984, when he bought his 300bps modem now he spends entirely too much time on the Internet. Mark's favorite pastimes include collecting memorabilia from the 1960s Batman TV series, covering every flat area in his house with gargoyles, playing his three pinball machines, fixing and upgrading computers, playing the latest computer games, and rendering 3D flights of fancy. During all that, he listens to just about every type of music imaginable. Mark is also author of IDG Books Worldwide's The Hewlett-Packard Official Printer Handbook, Building a PC For Dummies, and the Recordable CD Bible. Rob Smith, a native of Sheffield, England, has been playing games of all kinds for more than 15 years, and shows no sign of ever stopping. He has been writing about PC gaming for consumer print magazines for several years and regularly enjoys playing first-person action games on the Internet. Despite a life now made in San Francisco he still indulges way too much time on his passion for English soccer, and particularly his hometown team, Sheffield United. He also continues to confuse all his coworkers with the constant use of bizarre English phrases at his current day job as executive editor of Imagine Media's PC Accelerator magazine.
Table of Contents
PART I: Hardware Basics.
Chapter 1: Getting Started with Computer Games.
Chapter 2: Choosing a Controller.
Chapter 3: Selecting a Graphics System.
Chapter 4: Computer Audio for Gamers.
Chapter 5: CD-ROM and DVD for Garners.
Chapter 6: Power Gaming Hardware.
Chapter 7: Building or Upgrading a Game Machine.
PART II: Other Gaming Worlds.
Chapter 8: Gaming on Macs, Linux, and Laptops.
Chapter 9: Multiplayer Network and Modem Gaming.
Chapter 10: Internet and Web-Based Gaming Sites.
PART III: Advanced Gaming Topics.
Chapter 11: DirectX and Other Devious Devices.
Chapter 12: Troubleshooting Hardware and Software Problems.
Chapter 13: Using Patches, Levels, Cheats, and Walkthroughs.
Chapter 14: The Wonderful World of Game Emulation.
Chapter 15: Shopping for Hardware and Software.
Chapter 16: DOS Gaming Tips.
Chapter 17: Gameplay Tips and Tactics.
Chapter 18: Gaming Hardware Upgrades for the Future.
Appendix A: The Game Compendium.
Appendix B: Gaming Hardware and Software Manufacturer List.
Appendix C: What's on the CD-ROM?.
Appendix D: Best Games to Play on Your Venerable PC.
Appendix E: Getting Social.
End-User License Agreement.
CD-ROM Installation Instructions.