Corporate Governance: Principles and Practices (Aspen Elective Series) available in Paperback
- Pub. Date:
- Wolters Kluwer Law & Business
The first law school text in its field, Corporate Governance: Principles and Practices focuses on the theory and practice of balancing power among corporate directors, officers, shareholders, and "stakeholders." A superb teacher, Walter Effross brings his subject to life with a vibrant writing style, examples from popular culture, annotated sample documents, drafting exercises, and an innovative "Shareholder's Menu" in the appendix.
Corporate Governance: Principles and Practice features:
• summaries and explanations of contrasting schools of thought, including contractarianism, communitarianism, and the strengths and limitations of emerging academic approaches, such as empiricism, behavioral economics, and the study of international "convergence" of corporate governance
• an accessible selection of excerpts from the classic and the latest judicial decisions, with a concise treatment of factual and procedural context
• incisive notes that explore and explain the case excerpts and offer commentary on reactions from other courts, commentators, counsel, and executives
• engaging examples from the headlines and popular culture that illustrate important principles and spark class discussion
• detailed examinations of issues of corporate social responsibility, and of legal ethics in representing corporations, directors, officers, and/or shareholders
• annotated sample documents and drafting exercises
• hundreds of suggestions for paper topics on emerging and unsettled aspects of governance theory and practice
• an appendix providing additional advice for identifying, selecting, refining, and developing topics for papers and articles on corporate governance
• an appendix listing useful Web sites and "Readings Beyond the Syllabus"
• a Shareholder's Menu that categorizes and summarizes more than seventy separate initiatives that shareholder activists and commentators have proposed
Finally! A law school text dedicated to the burgeoning field of corporate governance! Ideal for Advanced Corporate Law, Corporate Governance, Corporate Law (as a supplement), Business Planning, Legal Drafting, and related topics, Corporate Governance: Principles and Practices is the practical book you've been waiting for.
Table of Contents
• Purposes and Priorities: The Defining Dynamics of Corporate Governance
• Preparations and Precautions: Directors’ Duties of Due Care
• Predispositions and Preclusions: Directors’ Duties of Loyalty
• Proxies and Proposals: The Role of Shareholders
• Prerequisites and Performances: Nominating, Electing, and Removing Directors
• Payments and Perquisites: Compensating Directors and Officers Appropriately
• Profit-Maximizing vs. Philanthropy: Corporate Social Responsibility
• Professionalism and Privilege: Special Considerations of Legal Ethics
• Pathways and Possibilities: Comparative Corporate Governance
• Predictions and Proofs: Does Good Corporate Governance Pay?