Criminal Justice / Edition 1 available in Hardcover
- Pub. Date:
- McGraw-Hill Higher Education
An outstanding text for the Introduction to Criminal Justice course. Criminal Justice has become an international field and this text has better international coverage than any other text on the market. Careful attention has been paid to pedagogy so that students learn the material easily; a running glossary appears in the margin of each page as well as quotes from newsworthy professionals. The three types of boxes are real teaching tools. Each box is a two page spread and consists of text, sources and questions along with photos or tables to help students understand the material. This text is heavily referenced. The references alone constitute a suggested readings appendix.
|Publisher:||McGraw-Hill Higher Education|
|Edition description:||Older Edition|
Table of ContentsPART I:
THE UNIVERSE OF CRIME AND JUSTICE.
1. Criminal Justice: An Overview.
2. Extent and Types of Crime.
3. Explaining Criminal Behavior.
4. Criminal Law.
5. The Criminal Justice System.
6. History and Organization of the Police.
7. Police Functions.
8. The Rule of Law in Law Enforcement.
9. Police Officers and Their Lifestyles.
10. The Origin and Role of the Courts.
11. Lawyers and Judges.
12. Prosecution and Adjudication.
14. Corrections: Yesterday and Today.
15. Institutional Corrections.
16. Alternatives to Imprisonment: Community Corrections.
COMPLEMENTARY JUSTICE SYSTEMS.
17. Juvenile Justice.
18. Justice for Victims.
19. International and Comparative Criminal Justice