Uh-oh, it looks like your Internet Explorer is out of date.
For a better shopping experience, please upgrade now.
Critical Reasoning (1 of the 8 books in Manhattan GMAT's Preparation Guide series) provides a highly organized and structured approach to the variety of questions in this verbal content area. The guide simplifies arguments by illustrating innovative diagramming techniques designed to increase comprehension and improve accuracy, and also details the major and minor critical reasoning question types that appear on the GMAT.
The book offers a unique balance between two competing emphases: test-taking strategies and in-depth content understanding. Practice problem sets build specific foundational skills in each topic and include the most advanced content that many other prep books ignore. As the average GMAT score required to gain admission to top b-schools continues to rise, this guide provides test takers with the depth and volume of advanced material essential for succeeding on the GMAT's computer adaptive format. Book also includes online access to 6 full-length Simulated Practice GMAT Exams at Manhattan GMAT's website.
*Each of the 8 Guides covers 1 major topic in extensive depth, providing students with many more pages-per-topic than found in all in-one books. Single-topic focus of each guide allows the student to purchase only those guides that pertain to his/her weaknesses.
*Purchase includes 6 Full-Length Computer Adaptive Online Practice GMAT Exams and Bonus Critical Reasoning Online Question Bank developed exclusively by Manhattan GMAT. Your book includes a unique access code that enables you to access these online resources.
*Cleanly-presented strategies, problems sets, and explanations withsidebars that highlight key concepts; no need to wade through cramped pages in small typeface.
*After mastering all the Critical Reasoning strategies, you can test your knowledge on arguments and passages that have appeared on past GMAT exams. These problems are contained in The Official Guides For GMAT Review (sold separately), published by GMAC, the organization that administers the GMAT. Manhattan GMAT has categorized all the Critical Reasoning & Reading Comprehension problems in The Official Guides by question type. These categorized problems have been organized into problem lists that appear in the Critical Reasoning Strategy Guide.
Table of ContentsThe Critical Reasoning guide (251 pages) provides techniques for understanding and organizing arguments and introduces each major and minor question type, including strategies and practice problems for each question type.
Chapter by Chapter:
1. ARGUMENT STRUCTURE: Argument Parts, Signal Words, Conclusion Placement, Deconstructing Real Arguments
2. DIAGRAMMING: Listing, Labeling, Numbering, Reordering, Diagramming Real Arguments
3. GENERAL STRATEGY: The Question Stem, Process of Elimination, Boundary Words, Extreme Words, 'Except' Questions
4. FIND THE ASSUMPTION: Categories of Assumption, In Action Problems, Solutions, Official Guide Problem Set
5. DRAW A CONCLUSION: Stay Close to the Premises, Use Real Numbers, Make an Inference, In Action Problems, Solutions, Official Guide Problem Set
6. STRENGTHEN THE CONCLUSION: S-W-Slash Chart, Weaken EXCEPT Questions, In Action Problems, Solutions, Official Guide Problem Set
7. WEAKEN THE CONCLUSION: S-W-Slash Chart, Two Attractive Answer Choices, In Action Problems, Solutions, Official Guide Problem Set
8. ANALYZE ARGUMENT STRUCTURE: Identify the Conclusion, Categorize Each Boldface Statement, Evaluate Each Boldface Separately, In Action Problems, Solutions, Official Guide Problem Set
9. MINOR QUESTION TYPES: Minor Question Types, In Action Problems, Solutions, Official Guide Problem Set