"This novel has the potential to be to a modern audience what [Judy] Blume's works were to girls of the 70s and 80s, and its blunt honesty and relevant topics make it the preferable choice." ~ AvidEye
[Young Adult (13 and Up), Coming of Age, Teenage Girls]
Patience is not Darla Decker’s strong suit. Surviving sixth grade is tough enough with an annoying older brother, a best friend acting distant, and schoolwork. After adding instructive kissing games and the torturous wait for a real date with her biggest crush, Darla is perpetually torn between behaving like an adult and throwing temper tantrums.
Games of flashlight tag, and the crazy cat lady roaming Shiloh Farms in a “demon bus,” serve as distractions during her parents’ quarrels and her anxiety about show choir auditions. Yet the more Darla waits for her adulthood to begin, the more she learns that summoning patience won’t be the hardest part of being eleven.
A frank and funny look at the path to adulthood, Darla Decker Hates to Wait begins a journey of love, loss, and the nitty-gritty of growing up through Darla Decker’s eyes.
Darla Decker Hates to Wait by Jessica McHugh
Evolved Publishing presents the first book in the Darla Decker Diaries series by Jessica McHugh. This edgy young adult novel follows a girl's tentative journey toward adulthood.
Discover the Complete Darla Decker Diaries Series
- Book 1: Darla Decker Hates to Wait
- Book 2: Darla Decker Takes the Cake
- Book 3: Darla Decker Shakes the State
- Book 4: Darla Decker Plays It Straight
More Great YA Books from Evolved Publishing:
- Chosen: Wind Catcher (Book 1) by Jeff Altabef and Erynn Altabef
- Joey Cola: Dream Warriors by D. Robert Pease
- The Silver Sphere by Michael Dadich
- Two Moons of Sera by P.K. Tyler
- Zombie West Trilogy by Angela Scott