This coherent collection of original papers marks the 150 year anniversary since the publication of Charles Darwin's Origin of Species (1859). Although the area of evolution-related publications is vast, the area of interaction between Darwinian ideas and specifically Catholic doctrine has received limited attention. This interaction is quite distinct from the one between Darwinism and the Christian tradition in general. Interest in Darwin from the Catholic viewpoint has recently been rekindled.
The major causes of this include: (1) John Paul II's 'Message to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences on Evolution' in 1996; (2) the document 'Communion and Stewardship: Human Persons Created in the Image of God' issued in 2002; by the International Theological Commission under the supervision of Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the present Pope Benedict XVI (3) Cardinal Christoph Schönborn apparent endorsement of Intelligent Design in his New York Times article 'Finding Design in Nature' of July 7, 2005; (4) Pope Benedict XVI's contributions in the recent collection of papersSchöpfung und Evolution (Creation and Evolution), published in Germany in April, 2007.
Responding to this heightened interest, the book offers a valuable collection of work from outstanding Catholic scholars in various fields.
|Product dimensions:||6.10(w) x 8.90(h) x 0.80(d)|
About the Author
Dr Louis Caruana SJ is Senior Lecturer in Philosophy at Heythrop College in the University of London, UK.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction - Louis Caruana
Part 1: HISTORICAL STUDIES
2. From the Origin to Humani Generis: Ireland as a case study - Don O'Leary
3. Darwinism from Humani Generis to the Present - Pawel Kapusta
4. Aquinas and Darwin - Fáinche Ryan
5. Teilhard de Chardin: Evolution for a believing scientist. - François Euvé
6. Bernard Lonergan's Transformation of the Darwinian Worldview - Patrick Byrne and Frank Budenholzer
Part 2: PHILOSOPHICAL THEMES
7. On Evolution and Intelligent Design - Nicholas Rescher
8. Weak Darwinism - Peter van Inwagen
9. Darwin, Ethics, and Evolution - Harry J. Gensler
10. Darwinism, Mind and Society - Louis Caruana
11. Darwinism and Economics - Albino Barrera
Part 3: THEOLOGICAL THEMES
12. Intelligent Design: Science or Faith? - Louis Dupré
13. Evolution and the Doctrine of Creation - Joseph M. Zycinski
14. Darwinism and Moral Theology - Stephen J. Pope
15. Darwin, Divine Providence, and the Suffering of Sentient Life - John F. Haught
Guide to Further Reading