We'll start at the beginning, learning how to create graphical web pages in Web Matrix. Then we'll use Visual Basic .NET and databases to add the dynamic features usually seen in expensive commercial websites. We'll finish by looking at some of the expert ASP.NET features - writing our own controls and web services.
Even if you've never programmed before, this book will take you right into the world of professional web development. You'll be amazed at how easy it is, and how much you can do.
Complete Starter kit. Everything you need to get you started:
- Complete ASP.NET Web Matrix Software included on the CD
- Friendly tutorial full of working examples and packed with screenshots
With this book you will be able to...
- Go further than just static HTML websites, by using a programming language. We will get you building real dynamic websites right from the beginning.
- Change the content of your pages quickly and easily by using databases. With this book, you’ll learn how databases work, and how to make the most of them.
- Add interactivity to your website by creating your very own Guest Book, and allow people to leave messages with emoticons.
- Create content you can distribute to other websites, and learn how to automatically update it all over the Web in one go!
Who is this book for?
- Users of any edition of Microsoft Windows XP or 2000
- Ideal for beginners - no HTML knowledge is required
About the Authors:
David Sussman has been writing about ASP since the early days. His books include the best selling Beginning ASP 3.0, Professional ASP 3.0, and Beginning ASP.NET.
The Microsoft ASP.NET team gave David early access to the Web Matrix project, and to coincide with the release of Web Matrix he and Alex Homer wrote a free Inside Web Matrix e-book. This is offered fee to everybody who downloads the application from www.asp.net.
This latest book teaches readers to create fun and powerful web sites and applications using this excellent free tool.
Colt Kwong is one of the most helpful and prolific posters on Microsoft's ASP.NET forums. He spends a great deal of his free time providing help to budding ASP.NET developers, and has used this experience to ensure that this book teaches you all you need to be a successful web developer.
John West is a software consultant from Atlanta, Georgia. He develops powerful .NET applications for his corporate clients, and has extensive knowledge of the real-world challenges faced by ASP.NET developers today.
Table of ContentsIntroduction
Chapter 1: Installing and Exploring Web Matrix
Chapter 2: Writing your First ASP.NET Web Page
Chapter 3: Creating Web Pages
Chapter 4: Writing Code
Chapter 5: Storing Different Types of Data
Chapter 6: Working with Collections of Data
Chapter 7: Debugging and Error Handling
Chapter 8: Working with Databases
Chapter 9: Displaying Data
Chapter 10: Working with Data
Chapter 11: Linking to Pages and Files
Chapter 12: Reusable Content
Chapter 13: Case Study Part 1: Extending Your Web Application
Chapter 14: Case Study Part 2: Identifying Your Users
Chapter 15: Remembering Your Visitors
Chapter 16: Web Services
Chapter 17: Beyond Web Matrix
Appendix A: Microsoft Internet Information Server