- Clair de lune, for piano (Suite Bergamasque No. 3), L. 75/3
- La plus que lente, waltz for piano (or orchestra), L. 121
- Arabesques (2) for piano, L. 66: Arabesque No. 1
- Le petit nègre, cakewalk for piano, L. 114
- Children's Corner, suite for piano (or orchestra), L. 113: The snow is dancing
- Children's Corner, suite for piano (or orchestra), L. 113: The little shepherd
- Children's Corner, suite for piano (or orchestra), L. 113: Golliwog's cakewalk
- Estampes, for piano, L. 100: La soirée dans Grenade
- Estampes, for piano, L. 100: Jardins sous la pluie
- Arabesques (2) for piano, L. 66: Arabesque No. 2
- Valse romantique, for piano, L. 71
- Tarantelle styrienne (Danse), for piano (or orchestra), L. 69
- Pour le piano, suite for piano, L. 95: Toccata
- Images (3), for piano, Set I, L. 110: Reflets dans l'eau
- Images (3), for piano, Set II, L. 111: Poissons d'or
- Mazurka, for piano, L. 67
- Rêverie, for piano, L. 68
- Préludes (12) for piano, Book I, L. 117: La fille aux cheveux de lin
- Préludes (12) for piano, Book I, L. 117: Minstrels
- Préludes (12) for piano, Book I, L. 117: La cathédrale engloutie
This sampler disc from Naxos' series of the complete piano works of Debussy, performed by François-Joël Thiollier, features the most well-known of Debussy's pieces. Thiollier is well-versed in this literature, having recorded all of Ravel's piano works and several French piano and orchestra works for Naxos. What is notable here is not his ability to carefully control the tone color (which is not harmed by the slight distance and echoing of the recording's sound), but his phrasing and overall interpretation. The "Arabesque No. 1" is much more relaxed than others' versions, even in the accelerandos. In fact, in most of the works, he takes liberties with the music, usually putting in much more rubato than is normally heard. "The Snow Is Dancing" is more like "The Snow Is Floating Gently Down" in spots. The "Arabesque No. 2" and "Danse" have more rounded edges than bright sparkles. His interpretations are not necessarily bad-sounding, just unexpected and unusual, if you are at all familiar with these pieces, and it leaves you wondering why he makes the choices he does.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Debussy: Clair de lune & Other Piano Favourites based on 0 ratings. 3 reviews.
I enjoy this CD at home during the weekends, as well as in my car while sitting in stressful traffic. The musical selections, like most classical, not only have a calming effect, but also have a way of inspiring, motivating and exciting the senses. I would recommend this CD to everyone - includes some tracks you may be familiar with, and some that you might hear for the first time. All in all, it is a CD to fall in love with.