In this groundbreaking book Phil Barden reveals what decisionscience explains about people’s purchase behaviour, andspecifically demonstrates its value to marketing.
He shares the latest research on the motivations behindconsumers’ choices and what happens in the human brain asbuyers make their decisions. He deciphers the ‘secretcodes’ of products, services and brands to explain why peoplebuy them. And finally he shows how to apply this knowledge in dayto day marketing to great effect by dramatically improving keyfactors such as relevance, differentiation and credibility.
- Shows how the latest insights from the fields of BehaviouralEconomics, psychology and neuro-economics explain why we buy whatwe buy
- Offers a pragmatic framework and guidelines for day-to-daymarketing practice on how to employ this knowledge for moreeffective brand management - from strategy to implementation andNPD.
- The first book to apply Daniel Kahneman’s NobelPrize-winning work to marketing and advertising
- Packed with case studies, this is a must-read for marketers,advertising professionals, web designers, R&D managers,industrial designers, graphic designers in fact anyone whose roleor interest focuses on the ‘why’ behind consumerbehaviour.
- Foreword by Rory Sutherland, Executive Creative Director andVice-Chairman, OgilvyOne London and Vice-Chairman,Ogilvy GroupUK
- Full colour throughout
|Product dimensions:||5.90(w) x 9.10(h) x 1.10(d)|
About the Author
Phil Barden is a proven marketer with over 25years’ experience, including senior and international rolesat high profile companies such as Unilever, Diageo and T-Mobile.Fascinated by the insights from decision science and by the valuethese can bring to marketing, he has latterly immersedhimself in this new field. He is now one of very few experts tocombine a practitioner’s perspective with a profoundknowledge of decision science, making him very much in demand amongclients and conference organisers alike. In this book he bridgesthe gap between the world of marketing and decision science, takingthe reader on his fascinating journey.
Table of Contents
1. Decision Science: Understanding the Why of Consumer Behaviour 1
2. The Moment of Truth: Decoding Purchase Decisions 37
3. Decoding the Interface: How the Autopilot Perceives Touchpoints 67
4. Optimizing the Path to Purchase: The Decision Interface Makes the Difference 119
5. Goals: The Driving Forces of Purchase Decisions 159
6. From Positioning to Touchpoints: Bringing Value to Life 203
Closing Remarks 255
Recommended Reading 259
What People are Saying About This
“When Phil first introduced me to this new and importantunderstanding it crystallised my fears that the long-standingapproach to marketing needed to be fundamentally re-evaluated. Inhis book, he not only persuasively and cogently argues his case butalso shows how we need to think in new ways to maximise ourmarketing efficiency and effectiveness”—Sean Gogarty, Senior Vice President, Household Care,Unilever
“A perfect mixture of deep ideas from visual and decisionneuroscience,and clear pictures of why those ideas matter formarketing”—Colin Camerer, Robert Kirby Professor of BehavioralEconomics, Caltech
"A must read for marketing managers who wish to deepen theirunderstanding of the vagaries of the consumer behavior. Thedifficult subject matter is presented in an accessible, logical andconcise manner. I will certainly use this book in my graduateclasses”—Leon Zurawicki. Professor of Marketing,University of Massachusetts"Marketing has, for a long time, been an uneasy tussle between artand science: Decoded gives the discipline a very healthy andeminently accessible push in the direction of the latter. Allmarketers should read it"—Philip Graves. Author of Consumer.ology