Providing teachers with the information needed to design supplemental mathematic instruction and to evaluate and modify commercially developed math programs, Designing Effective Mathematics Instruction, Fourth Edition, gives teachers systematic procedures and teaching strategies to augment mathematics instruction.
Written by Marcy Stein, Diane Kinder, Jerry Silbert, and Douglas W. Carnine, this latest edition includes:
- A new chapter on pre-algebra skills (Chapter 20) to assist teachers in working with older students on these higher order concepts.
- Frequently Asked Questions About Direct Instruction (Appendix B) that explain how to implement a direct instruction approach and why direct instruction is the most effective method for teaching students with disabilities and those at-risk for math failure.
- A relevant Topics of Interest chart (located on the inside front cover) that summarizes information for primary, intermediate, and remedial teachers.
- New content on evaluating and modifying commercially developed mathematics instructional materials.
- The history and components of the direct instruction approach to teaching mathematics.
- Relevant and current research on the skills and techniques required for effective mathematics instruction, including strategies for pacing lessons, correcting errors, and diagnosing and remedying error patterns.
- Instructional Sequence and Assessment Charts for primary, intermediate, and remedial teachers, which can serve as diagnostic tests or as a basis for constructing goals and objectives for students.
|Product dimensions:||8.49(w) x 10.80(h) x 1.07(d)|
Table of Contents
PART I. PERSPECTIVE .
1. Direct Instruction.
2. Mathematics Curriculum Evaluation Framework.
3. Research Relevant to Mathematics Instruction.
PART II. SKILLS AND CONCEPTS.
5. Symbol Identification and Place Value.
6. Basic Facts.
11. Problem Solving.
14. Percent and Ratio.
15. Telling Time.
18. Mathematics Study Skills: Graphs, Charts, Maps, and Statistics.
Appendix A: Direct Instruction Mathematics Programs: An Overview and Research Summary.
Appendix B: Frequently Asked Questions about Direct Instruction Mathematics.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews