This bookispart of the Plant Pathology in the 21st Century Series, started in the occasion of the IX International Congress of Plant Pathology, Torino, 2008.
In conjuction with the Xth International Congress of Plant Pathology,held in Beijing in August 2013.
Although deriving from a Congress, the book will not have the format of traditional Proceedings, but will be organized as a resource book. It will be based on invited lectures presented at the Congress as well as by other chapters selected by the editors among offered papers.
This book will cover a topic very important in the field of plant pathology, dealing with detection and diagnostics. This field of research is continuously moving forwards, due to innovation in techniques. The application of new detection and diagnostic technologies are relevant to many applied fields in agriculture.
The different chapters will provide a very complete figure of the topic, from general and basic aspects to practical aspects.
About the Author
Prof. Gullino has (co)edited 7 books with Springer so far: 1/ Integrated Pest and Disease Management in Greenhouse Crops (2000 Kluwer), Albajes, Gullino, Van Lenteren, Elad (Eds) 2/ Crop Biosecurity: Assuring our Global Food Supply (NATO series, 2008), Gullino, Fletcher, Gamliel, Stack 3/ Sustainable Development and Environmental Management: Experiences and Case Studies (2008), Clini, Musu, Gullino (Eds). Simultaneously the Chinese edition was published. Bulk order 2 x 1,000 copies / EUR 40,000 excl. VAT ICPP Book Series Vol.1 Recent Developments in Management of Plant Diseases, 2009, Gisi, Chet, Gullino (Eds) sold 160 copies + 100 bulk / 5,259 downloads (July'12) Vol.2 Post-harvest Pathology, 2010, Prusky, Gullino; sold 202 copies + 100 bulk / 3,034 downloads (July' 12) Vol.3 The Role of Plant Pathology in Food Safety and Food Security, 2010, Strange, Gullino (Eds); sold 196 copies + 100 bulk / 1,774 downloads (July'12) Vol.4 Knowledge and Technology Transfer for Plant Pathology, 2010, Hardwick, Gullino (Eds); sold: 120 copies + 100 bulk / 1,113 downloads (July'12) bulk: 4 x 100 copies / EUR 16,400 excl.VAT
Table of Contents
BOOK 5. DETECTION AND DIAGNOSTICS OF PLANT PATHOGENS
1. New developments in identification and quantification of airborne inoculum - Steph Heard, Jonathan S. West
2. siRNA deep sequencing and assembly: piecing together viral infections - Jan Kreuze
3. Use of airborne inoculum detection for disease management decisions - Walt Mahaffee
4. Proximal sensing of plant diseases - Erich-Christian Oerke, Anne-Katrin Mahlein, Ulrike Steiner
Case studies and special applications
5. Diagnostic Challenges for the Detection of Emerging Pathogens: A Case Study Involving the Incursion of Pseudomonas syringae pv. actinidiae in New Zealand - Robert K. Taylor, Joanne R. Chapman, Megan K. Romberg, Bevan S. Weir, Joel L. Vanneste, Kerry R. Everett, Lisa I. Ward, Lia W. Liefting, Benedicte S.M. Lebas, Brett J.R. Alexander
6. Detection of Human Pathogens on Plants - Li Maria Ma, Jacqueline Fletcher, Guodong Zhang
7. Plant Disease Diagnostics For Forensic Applications - Jacqueline Fletcher, Francisco M. Ochoa Corona, Mark Payton
III. Role of diagnostics in plant disease management
8. Results of the EU project QBOL, focusing on DNA barcoding of quarantine organisms, added to an international database (Q-bank) on identification of plant quarantine pathogens and relatives - Peter J.M. Bonants
9. On-site testing - moving decision making from the lab to the field - Neil Boonham
10. Virtual Diagnostic Networks: A platform for collaborative diagnostics - James P. Stack, Jane Thomas, Will Baldwin, Paul Verrier
11. Development and implementation of rapid and specific detection techniques for seed-borne pathogens of leafy vegetable crops. - Maria Lodovica Gullino, Giovanna Gilardi, Giuseppe Ortu, Angelo Garibaldi
12. Diagnosis of plant pathogens and implications for plant health regulation: the European Food Safety Authority perspective - Vittorio Rossi, Thierry Candresse, Michael J. Jeger, Charles Manceau, Gregor Urek, Giuseppe Stancanelli