This updated and revised Diamond Ring Buying Guide: 8th Edition provides concise yet detailed information on diamond quality evaluation, lab-grown diamonds, fakes, gem treatments, cutting styles, gold, platinum, palladium, silver, alternative metals, settings, ring selection, diamond grading reports, gem care and buying tips. It's a visual guide that helps you select the best diamonds and mounting for your budget and needs.
Written in clear, everyday English, with lots of color photos, the book shows you step-by-step how to evaluate diamonds and settings. It has helped thousands of diamond buyers make smart choices and is a useful reference for jewelry salespeople when answering customers' questions about diamonds, precious metals and settings/
What's new in the 8th Edition of the Diamond Ring Buying Guide
- Chapters on silver and alternative metals because they are now being used for diamond jewelry as a result of the high prices of gold and platinum.
- A two-page chapter on diamond grading lab documents.
- A comparison of the benefits of lab-grown diamonds versus those of natural diamonds and a page showing how UV fluorescence can be used to help distinguish between natural and lab-grown diamonds.
- A two-page chapter explaining why for hundreds of years diamonds have been more prized than other gems that are more rare.
- Updated colored diamond photos and top auction prices.
- A section on how color affects the prices of color-enhanced diamonds.
- A revised chapter on judging cut quality with some new photos.
- A revised chapter on judging diamond clarity and new photo examples of diamond clarity.
- New photo examples of ring mountings and settings.
- A section on 10 ways to save money on diamonds.