With HTML alone, you can build fun, attractive, and useful Web pages. But to do things like process user input from HTML forms, allow searching across your Web site, and integrate your site with a database, CGI scripting in the language Perl is the solution of choice.
Now, programming in Perl is not as easy as formatting a Web page with HTML. But thanks to the clear, practical guidance that Naba Barkakati provides in Discover Perl 5, you'll soon be hacking out your own Perl scripts from scratch and tweaking the wheel by adapting the scripts included on the book's accompanying CD-ROM for your own use.
Designed for fledgling, recreational programmers as well as professionals experienced with other languages, Discover Perl 5 not only shows you how to put Perl to use but also includes the complete, latest release of the Perl language for Windows 95, Windows NT, and UNIX.
Plus, like all the titles in our Discover series, Discover Perl 5 features the 6-Point Advantage:
- Color TearOut Card -- Key information and shortcuts that get you up to speed fast
- Discovery Center -- Quick summaries of the chapters' major points collected at the back of the book
- Real-Life Vignettes -- Winning stories on how real people use technology to improve their lives
- Visual Index -- Convenient picture maps direct you to the features you're looking for
- Web Path -- Handy references to feature- or topic-related Web sites
- Bonus Section -- Value-added tips and timesaving techniques at the end of each chapter
|Publisher:||Wiley, John & Sons, Incorporated|
|Edition description:||BOOK & CD|
|Product dimensions:||7.42(w) x 9.23(h) x 1.12(d)|
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
This book is amazing , it contains information for a new bie and advanced user. Its starts of teaching the fundamentals and then heads into cookies, reading directories etc. There no nonsense here , it tells u wat u need to know , straight to the point. even thought its old now , it is really good, ive written several complex script s with this book , including a my.yahoo.com kinda script with cookies and costumized pages and error redirection. what it lacks is cookies . But this can be found in any html book or anyplace on the net like : cgi-resources.com. A definite must buy for a new or intermediate perl scripter!!! the perfect set , this book and perl cookbook.