|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||5.90(w) x 8.30(h) x 0.80(d)|
|Age Range:||18 Years|
About the Author
David Newman is a Certified Speaking Professional (CSP), marketing expert, speaker, and founder of Do It! Marketing, a strategy and done-for-you services firm that specializes in working with executives and entrepreneurs who want to speak more profitably. He’s also the creator of the Speaker Profit Formula® seminar and mentoring program. David has worked with over six hundred executives and entrepreneurs to monetize their message; his clients and audiences include forty-four of the Fortune 500, such as IBM, Microsoft, Oracle, QVC, Merrill Lynch, and American Express. David hosts The Speaking Show, the #1 podcast for experts who want to speak more profitably. David’s previous book, Do It! Marketing, is an international bestseller and was translated into six languages.
Read an Excerpt
Doing Your Best Is Not Enough
I meet a lot of small business owners and professionals who are "doing their best."
They are working hard. Making contacts. Networking. Filling their pipeline. Collecting business cards. Phoning people. Meeting people.
And it's just not working.
Their thriving, profitable business is a highly elusive figment of their imagination, fueled by inordinate amounts of credit card debt, their retirement savings, or a spousal trust fund.
More often than not, these folks throw in the towel after a few years.
No surprise that the small business death rate is a whopping 80 percent by the time businesses are five years old.
Donald Trump said it best: "It's not about winning or losing; It's about winning."
Here are the top 10 reasons for entrepreneurial failure, in my experience:
1. Delivering a great product or service but being terrible at marketing and sales
2. Not getting the right kind of marketing or sales help in time or at all!
3. Not delegating or hiring part-time help to take care of the intelligent grunt work?
4. Not having a business plan/goal/vision/destination in mind, including the failure to plan for failure!
5. No differentiation trying to market me-too, "Same-O Lame-O" boring stuff
6. Not taking themselves seriously (indicated by homemade business cards, freebie website, trying to cut every corner, etc.)
7. Overinvesting in these same things:˜ fancy business cards, a $25,000 website, overly expensive and overly broad advertising and thinking that's enough
8. A lack of expertise and thought leadership in their marketing focus trying to be all things to all people
9. Failure to develop alliances (Don't think you can do it all yourself. Hire the right people to get the job done, outsource, or partner.)
10. Underestimating the time and money it takes to grow your business successfully. (Remember, not all things are going to work the first time. Or the tenth. Plan for experimentation, testing, and thousands of small adjustments along the way.)
Nobody likes to throw in the towel.
But don't kid yourself by saying, "I did my best."
The real question is, "Did you do what had to be done?"
This book is for those who want to do what has to be done. It's not a book for dummies because you are not a dummy. It's a book for smart people, but people looking for guidance, tips, and strategies, for insight, frameworks, and basic rules for success for people like YOU.
Ready? Here we go . . .
Table of Contents
Prologue: Doing Your Best Is Not Enough
Part One: Marketing Rocks
1. Stop Throwing Money into a Marketing Black Hole
2. Determine Who, Then Why—And Your What Comes Last
Part Two: It’s About Them, Really
3. Who Are You?
4. What Do You Want to Be KNOWN For?
5. Who Are They?
6. Show Up With a Bucket
7. Hula Hoops® And Kool Aid®
8. Avoid Blah-Blah-Blah Marketing
9. Stop Selling Sugar
10. Visibility + Credibility = Buyability
11. 50 Reasons People Should Buy from You
Part Three: Learn to Speak Prospect
12. Build Your Marketing Language Bank
13. Seven Questions to Identify Your Best Buyers
14. Don’t Fall into the Same-O Lame-O Trap
15. Zero In on Your Pain/Gain Factors
16. How to Build Your Prospect Phrase Book
17. The Only Three Problems You Can Solve
18. You Solve People Problems
19. You Solve Process Problems
20. You Solve Profit Problems
21. Control Is Priceless
22. Your Buyers Are Lazy, Busy, and Befuddled
23. Clarity Indicates Expertise
Part Four: Expert Positioning
24. How to Profit from 3PR
25. CEO Speaking ls Your Best Weapon
26. Find Out Which Audiences Pay Off
27. Be Serious
28. Chasing Chum Makes You a Chump
Part Five: Dominate Social Media
29. Create Killer Social Media Scripts
30. Seven Rules for Your E-Mail Signature File
31. The (Real) IDIOT ’s Guide to Social Media Marketing
32. I: “I, Me, My” Syndrome
33. D: Dumb It Down
34. I: Information Without Invitation
35. O: Overselling
36. T: Talk Without Action
37. S: Short-Term Focus
Part Six: The “S” Word
38. Sell Like a Girl
39. Your Sales To-Don’t List
40. You Don’t Need Sales Training
Part Seven: Get BETTER Leads
41. Market to People Who Are Already Listening
42. Why You DON ’T Want to Be in the Book
43. Old Media Is Dead! Long Live Old Media!
44. Nobody Is Going to Steal Your Idea
Part Eight: Get Better Prospects
45. Five Reasons You’re Getting Referred to Losers—
And How to Fix It
46. Build Your Referral Blurb
47. Don’t Be a Referral Jackass
48. Work Your Network
49. Why Your Inbound Leads Are a 911 Call
50. Seven Stupid Ways to Blow Up Your Sales Process
51. Five Signs That Your Prospect Is Giving You Too Much BS
52. Your Nine-Point Client GPS
53. How Good of a Client Will You Be?
Part Nine: Eliminate Roadblocks
54. RBI Meets CSI
55. Become the Missing Piece
56. Stop Wasting Your Time Following Up
57. Nobody Leaves Hungry
Part Ten: Your Business DNA
58. Branding Is BS
59. Your Name Supports Everything You Do
60. BMW at One Dollar Over Invoice!
61. You’re Competing With Idiots—And They’re Winning
62. Diversify While Still Specializing
63. Focus on Strategy, Not Tactics
64. Planning Trumps Passion Every Time!
Part Eleven: Persona l Success Strategies
65. Confidence Is Sexy
66. Charm Is NOT a Four-Letter Word
67. Lone Wolves Starve to Death
68. Live Out of Your Calendar Not Your Inbox
69. Five Ways to Use E-Mail Without Getting Sucked In
70. The Secret Sauce
71. Do WHAT You Love for PEO PLE You Love
Part Twelve: Taking Action
72. Five Marketing Moves for Business Success
73. Move Up
74. Move In
75. Move Ahead
76. Move Aside
77. Move Alone
Part Thirteen: Your 21-Day Marketing Launch Plan
Day 1. Who Are YOU?
Day 2. Who Are THEY?
Day 3. Develop Your Platform-Building Plan—Part I
Day 4. Develop Your Platform-Building Plan—Part II
Day 5. Personal Branding, Domain, and Web Setup
Day 6. Research and (Re-)set Your Prices
Day 7. Article Day
Day 8. Rest Day
Day 9. Website Setup or Review/Revision
Day 10. Building Inbound Links
Day 11. Assembling Your Basic Presentation
Day 12. Build a Simple Speaker One-Sheet
Day 13. Find Speaking Leads and Places to Deliver Your
Day 14. Ask for AIR (Advice, Insights, Recommendations)
Day 15. Article Submission Day
Day 16. Rest Day
Day 17. Product Development Day
Day 18. Create Your E-Mail and List-Building Platform
Day 19. Social Media Day
Day 20. Map Out Your Organization Chart
Day 21. You Made It!
Your 21-Day Do It! Marketing Playbook
About the Author
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Get Ready for Greater Success with Do It! Marketing David Newman jump starts your thinking to take ACTION through his unique and authentic contrarian style in his book, Do It! Marketing. With his distinctive humor and teaching style, he walks you through each step of the marketing cycle. As a bonus to speed your implementation, the book also has vibrant color, a bold layout, and easy to follow ‘navigation.’ It’s like hiring David as your marketing / business coach and getting all his advice, interactive guidance, proven tools and ready-to-use templates in one place. Get ready for greater success, starting with Chapter One. Gerrie Dresser, CEO, Unique Impact - Executive / Personal Brand Coach.
You could spend $2,500 attending a marketing bootcamp and then sign up for $10,000 coaching afterward—or you could simply read David Newman’s brilliant, insightful book, Do It! Marketing. You’ll definitely want your own copy, so that you can read, then study, then use it as a reference going forward. Do It! Marketing is a must-have for anyone who runs a business, or who is offering a product or service for sale. Whether you seek active or passive income, online or brick-and-mortar sales, this tutorial applies. David Newman’s own clients range from solo business owners to Fortune 500 companies. His expertise has been featured in major media including NY Times, Wall Street Journal, Entrepreneur, and more. When he started his leadership marketing advisory firm, he didn’t want to bill by the hour. One of his principles was, “Unlike many other firms, we are committed to getting you to your destination, not in running the meter!” One of his sound bites during those early years was, “Fixed fees. No surprises. Just results.” During the testing phase, people’s faces lit up when they heard it—and that is the reaction you want to see to your own mottos, taglines, and elevator speeches. One of my favorite sections is, “Three Ways Your Business Can Market to the Lazy, Busy, and Befuddled,” because that covers the vast majority of potential customers or clients. I love what he wrote: “If you can’t market and sell to ignorant people who give you stupid excuses, you’re going to have a very brief career in sales.” It’s funny but it hits the bullseye. If you want to boost your expert positioning, Part 4 is for you. If you want to dominate social media (and who these days doesn’t?) Part 5 is for you. You’ll learn how to avoid putting out mediocre content out on Twitter or Facebook that does nothing to enhance your reputation. Don’t oversell. Do become more visible and more credible. He offers 12 Tips to Becoming Successful on LinkedIn. Five ways to use email without getting sucked in. Do you want better results, faster? Newman tell you how to get more leads, and how to stop wasting time. He reveals the lowest cost, highest return marketing strategy ever. It’s all here for the taking. The book ends with Your 21-Day Marketing Launch Plan. This is your $10,000 coaching program. Don’t worry about not having the time to dig into a textbook tome. The book is laid out in the most easy-to-read manner possible. Large font, call-out boxes, lists, bullet points, and red highlights guide you through quickly so you can get on to the implementation and increasing your profits. Highly recommended to everyone except those businesses I dislike and don’t want to see succeed.