Doors can be more than just entrances! They offer guests a warm welcome and provide protection against the elements and unwanted visitors. They can hide unsightly messes, and they can also say something about the character and creativity of the people who own them. Whether you are starting from scratch or replacing a door in an existing building, you should look at a door as an important design element with many exciting possibilities.
In this fantastic, comprehensive guide, you'll find everything you need to know to make attractive, functional, and sturdy doors, including:
- Help in choosing the right design to meet your needs
- Illustrated installation instructions
- Pattern and material lists for more than 50 different doors: batten doors, layered doors, edge-joined doors, frame-and-panel doors, screen doors, French doors, and more
- Techniques for building, doweling, clamping and gluing, making moldings and decorated features, using a spindle shaper, and finishing
- Maintenance and repair tips
With the expert guidance and ideas contained here, you can add beauty, charm, and style to your home with personalized doors. Doormaking: A Do-It-Yourself Guide is a treasure even to the occasional door maker, as it provides timeless design tips that are valuable to amateur and professional builders and hobbyists alike.
John Birchard, while living in California, was inspired by the fine woodcraft of James Krenov and established a woodworking school that is still ongoing at the College of the Redwoods in Fort Bragg. Author of numerous how-to books and articles and producer of many videos, Birchard works primarily as a commercial photographer and still lives in the house he built in 1978. He is also the author of Make Your Own Handcrafted Doors & Windows.
Readers interested in related titles from John Birchard will also want to see: Make Your Own Handcrafted Doors & Windows (ISBN: 9781626548787).
|Publisher:||Echo Point Books & Media|
|Product dimensions:||8.50(w) x 11.00(h) x 0.43(d)|